- Personal Finance»
- Income & Making Money
5 Ways to make extra money
5 Ways to make extra money
Over the past year I have been looking at ways to bring some extra income into our household. Upon analyzing our situation I have discovered some ideas for making some extra money.
Let me begin by saying most of these ideas are to make extra money on a temporary basis. You should be looking at these options if you need extra money to get out of debt, work your way through college or save for an upcoming purchase. If you have to use one of these ideas to make your normal expenses, then you need to either analyze your spending habits and get on a budget or look for permanent ways to increase your income.
1) Work overtime. If you are an hourly employee and your company offers overtime, take it. You will not have the hassle of filling out an application to get a job plus you will be getting paid time and a half. This seems by far the best way for some temporary extra income if it is available.
2) Start a home based business. When I think about home based businesses I think about having to sell something out of my home. That is not necessary. It is much easier to have a service oriented business. Mow lawns, baby sit, pet sit or clean houses.
3) Find a part-time job. Despite what the media says, jobs are always available. These may not be the jobs you want, but if you are desperate enough you should not be choosy. Remember this should only be temporary, just for a couple of years at the most. You can deliver newspapers, deliver pizzas, work at a fast food place like McDonald's or Wendy's, or work at a retail store. If you are thick skinned you can become an umpire or referee. Basically any job that you can find available even if it is at minimum wage.
4) Work seasonal jobs. You can bring in extra money by working in the summer at a golf course or as a life guard. In the winter you can work in retail stores around Christmas. Around tax time you can work for an Accountant or H & R Block. In fact, if you enjoy the seasonal job, you could continue working even after you have gotten out of debt or completed college. A little extra money never hurt anyone.
5) Find online jobs. There are several ways to make money online, there are also many scams so you should be careful. There are job sites like Get-A-Freelancer and ELance where you can do some freelance jobs. You can write blogs or for pay to write sites like Helium and Associated Content. You can also take surveys online. Generally speaking, the online jobs will not pay you as much money as the first four options that I mentioned.
I hope I have given you some ideas to make some extra money. Now it's time to roll up your sleeves and get to work.
- How To Make Money From Hubpages
I am writing this article on Hubpages, which is a free site where you can publish any article about any subject that you like and make some extra money for your efforts. there are six ways at the moment that...
- How much will I need in my emergency fund?
Most experts agree that you should have 3-6 months expenses set aside in an emergency fund. But exactly how do you figure what is considered an expense? Do you use your normal expense or do you cut back...
- How much will I need to retire (part 1)
As you plan for retirement, the first question you should ask is "how much money will I need each year to live off of?" When you go to a financial planner, the standard response is 80% of your current...
- Good mutual funds (American Funds)
When looking to invest in mutual funds, there are a few things you should keep in mind. You should look for funds that have been around for a minimum of 10 years. Funds that have a growth rate of at least 10%...
- Good Vanguard Mutual Funds
I recently wrote about some good American Fund Mutual Funds so I decided to research some other options. I am now going to give some information about the Vanguard series of mutual funds. In my opinion,...