7 Reasons to Save for a House before Applying for a Home Loan
Help for Buying A Home
Before you apply for a home loan, you should spend at least several months saving up some money. Many people spend a lot longer than that preparing to get a home loan, saving up large sums of cash before bothering to look at homes. Here are seven key reasons why this is important to do:
1. You want to have a large down payment so you have less of a loan to repay. The smartest financial move that you can make when buying a home is to take out the smallest loan possible. One key way to do that is to have a large down payment. The more money that you can pay in cash up front, the less money that you need to take out for a loan. The smaller the loan, the easier it will be to pay it back and to do so quickly.
2. A large down payment can mean less money paid in interest. Because you will be able to take out a smaller loan, you’ll be able to pay less in interest charges on that loan. That means that you’re basically getting your house for a cheaper rate when you save up a large down payment before getting your home.
3. Saving for a home will teach you important things about your finances. The recent problems with home foreclosures have taught us all that it’s important to be able to afford your home loan. Saving up for a home will teach you important skills related to budgeting and setting aside money. This can be crucial when it comes time to make those home loan payments in the future.
4. You can use the savings time period to improve your credit score. There are many benefits to improving your credit score before you apply for a home loan. The time during which you are saving up your money for your down payment on your home is time that you can use to make those improvements to your credit score. Learn more.
5. A down payment of at least 20% prevents higher insurance costs. If you are unable to come up with a down payment that is equal to at least twenty percent of the total loan then you will most likely be required to purchase something called Private Mortgage Insurance. This is insurance that helps reduce the risk to the lender of financing a loan without a large down payment. If you’re required to get this then that’s just more money that you’re shelling out each month. That’s a problem that you can avoid if you save up for a house before getting your home loan.
6. A larger down payment means better home equity. The amount of money that you’ve paid off on your home equals home equity. That is the amount of cash money that your home is worth to you. If you need to take out a home equity loan later, you will be able to get that amount. The higher your down payment is now, the more home equity you have immediately upon getting your new home.
7. Savings accrues interest. As you are saving up for your home, you can be putting that money into an account that earns interest. This is a really smart way to make your money work for you!
Thoughts on Buying vs Renting a Home
More article to help you save money when buying a new home
- How To Improve Your Credit So You Can Buy A Home
There are a lot of great financial reasons that motivate people to want to buy their own homes. It is a huge financial move to make, though, so it’s important that you take your time with the purchase and do it right. One of the smartest things...
- 5 Basic Things to Know When Buying a Home for the Fi...
Buying a home is exciting. It is adventurous. It’s also a little bit scary. There are a lot of things to know about buying a home. Since it is such a big investment, you certainly don’t want to try to learn by trial and error. You want to know...
- Top 10 Banks for Home Mortgage Loans
Which bank should you select if you are interested in getting a home mortgage loan this year? The answer depends on many factors including your own personal credit, where you’re already banking and what...
- Tip: Use a High Interest Savings Account to Save for...
It is really important that you save up for a house before applying to get a home loan. Doing so allows you to accrue a better down payment. This reduces the amount of money that you need to get on loan, saving you a lot of money in interest charges.