- Personal Finance»
- Income & Making Money
Easiest Ways to Make Extra Money
It's easier than you think
Just think how nice it would be to have even just a little bit of extra spending money each month. Actually,I bet you have thought about it,probably more than just once. Bills take up a large majority of the American families income,and often times we find ourselves coming up short in the fun department. But there are tons of odd jobs out there that anybody can do.
No,they aren't jobs that you can make a living on,but many of them can and will give you a nice amount of extra money each month aside from your regular job. A lot of people are out there doing odd jobs right now,and you can too! All you have to do is look around. There are so many little things that people need done and are willing to pay other people to do for them. This article is here to give you some general ideas,but the rest is up to you. These odd jobs won't just fall into your lap,but if you seek them out then you will be well on your way.
Be creative,and remember that people are busy and will pay for you to help them with odd jobs
- Keep an eye out for paper routes in your local newspaper. Honestly,you can make somewhere between $50-$250 a month,depending on how many people you will be delivering to! No,this isn't a lot of money alone. But it can be a nice amount in addition to your full time job. And it doesn't take a lot of time. Probably a couple of hours if your walking,but the amount of time also depends on how many people you have to take papers to. And best of all,IT'S AN EASY JOB!
- If you are pretty smart in a certain subject (like math for example),you can place an ad in the newspaper or hang flyer's around town offering to tutor students who need some extra help with their studies. Generally speaking,there is the potential to make a fair bit of money doing this. Of course,it will all depend on how many students you are helping,and how many you actually have the time to tutor. The amount that you decide to charge for your services is ultimately up to you,but it is a good idea to find out what other tutors with a similar skill level are charging their clients. $10-$20 an hour is considered reasonable in most circumstances,however once you build up a reputation as being a good tutor,you can charge a bit more. Also consider the area you live in when thinking about how much to charge.
- If you own a swimming pool,put it to good use! Hang flyer's offering swimming classes during the summer months. The income potential on this really depends on a variety of factors such as the community you live in,and how many children are nearby. Think of a fair price as compared to public swimming classes. Make it somewhat lower to entice people to use your services,but don't go so low that you won't be making much of a profit. This is a job that can be a lot of fun if you enjoy children! If you work a Monday-Friday type of job,then weekends would be the ideal time to schedule classes,but this is not a rule. Just go with what works for you.
- If you're the type who absolutely loves children,then babysitting would be perfect for you! Just advertise in the newspaper or hang flyer's at local stores. Many parents won't leave their children with just anybody,so be prepared to answer questions,and to provide references if needed. Ask around your neighborhood as to how much other babysitters in the area are making,and go from there. Again,you want to be making a profit,but at first you may need to offer a lower price than others until you get your name out there.$5-$10 an hour is reasonable in most cases,but it very much depends on the income level of the surrounding families. Some babysitters also charge more if they are babysitting more than one child. Figure out a price that works both for you and others.
- Personal care services are something that is often needed by many people with an older family member. The family often has to work,and are unable to prepare meals and give medications,etc to them in between that time. This job requires that you travel to the home of the person you are being paid to look after. Every job of this type will be different and have different requirements. Sometimes they are just in need of a companion to sit with them,or cook for them for a couple hours each day. It is a very rewarding job because you are helping somebody daily,and the extra income can actually be very nice. You can advertise that you are willing to do in home care for the elderly,or you can look for ads in the newspaper and around town. There are usually plenty of them if you live near a larger city.
- House cleaning is yet another option. This very much depends on where you live,because people who don't have much money can not afford to pay somebody to clean for them. But,if you are willing to travel a bit if you need to go into a wealthier neighborhood,then the income from such a job can add up quickly. Make sure that you check into how much others are charging for house cleaning in that area. Usually people prefer that you pay for and bring your own cleaning supplies too,but not always. Every client is different.
- Pet-sitting/dog walking can be an excellent way to bring in the cash. As with most jobs listed here,this one also depends on the neighborhood. If it is a very pet friendly area,then you have a great chance of finding people who will need your help. Advertise with flyers at local stores/newspapers,and keep your prices fair. You can look online for average pet sitting/walking fees and go from there. If you love animals,then this won't even feel like a job for you!
- Do you frequently visit yard sales and flea markets? You can make money off of your habit! I know of a retired neighbor who does this every spring,and continues until the fall. And she makes a good bit of extra money doing it. Just go and look around for things that are a bargain. This really isn't hard to do,because a lot of people just want to get rid of clutter and end up selling things at yard sales for much less than they are really worth. After you have a bit of a collection going,start setting up a yard sale every weekend,or whatever days are best for you. My neighbor has her yard sale EVERY DAY,weather permitting. Keep with the habit of buying and selling for more than you paid,and you will soon see yourself making money. Just remember not to go too far overboard with the prices.
The possibilities are endless!
All you have to use is your mind,and you can come up with countless ideas for making extra money. There are so many different ideas,that there are just too many to list! If you are trying to think up some of your own ways to make money,just consider some of the things that you are good at. Do you love baking? If you're good at it,you can even make money off of that! Really,there is no end to what you can do if you put your mind to it.