- Personal Finance»
- Frugal Living
How to get the most out of your ShopYourWay Rewards
Membership is free!
I love getting free stuff. I think everyone should love getting free stuff. I have found a way to get merchandise for cheap or completely free. Now, I know Kmart isn't doing great right now. Personally, I like their merchandise better than Walmart's. I became a member with Shop Your Way online last September. Since then I played the rewards sweepstakes and instant win games and have been able to order items for well below asking price or for cheap.
There is a point system called rewards points. You receive these points by purchasing items at Kmart, Sears or other Shop Your Way affiliated stores. You can also receive points by entering in sweepstakes, playing the instant win games or receiving "surprise points". Up until a week ago I knew about receiving points for every purchase, but I didn't know about the games.
I found out from following CouponClipinista on Facebook. I thought well since I already had the free membership I might as well try it out. After my first round of playing the instant wins, I won enough points to make one order completely free, and another order that was $29.99, with points I paid $1.39. With that total, I didn't even use my own money, I used cash back from replacing my bank card with my Paypal debit card.
- If you are not already a member you can sign up for free. I highly recommend a separate "sweepstakes" email. This website will send you emails to look out for that will contain extra sweepstakes entries. For the first 90 days of membership you get free 2-day shipping on almost everything. Once you become a member you can navigate to the Rewards tab-Play & earn-Sweepstakes. I see on average 100 sweepstakes going at any given time. There will be different ones and you can choose which ones to enter in. The instant win games will give you a chance to win points and some will allow you to pick the prize of the sweepstakes.
- There are other ways you can enter, such as sharing on Facebook or Twitter. You will also be emailed codes you can use for an extra entry. If it's an instant win game that code will give you another chance at playing.
- I will warn that some of this may be time consuming, and you may not win points every day. I go every 2-3 days sometimes without winning points, but I do keep winning them. With each game play you are also entered into the sweepstakes of that game giving you more chances to win.
Using your points wisely!
When you purchase items from Shopyourway.com you get points that go into your general point pot. Surprise points however comes with stipulations.
- Let's say you can use 10,000 points ($10.00) when you purchase $10.00 in the shoe department. With this deal, you can technically get the item for free, if you find something for exactly $10.00. If you chose to spend $11.00, your 10,000 surprise points can be added to the order and your order will come to $1.00 plus tax (only on the $1.00 and shipping if applicable.) Don't forget, if you have points in your main pot, and enough to cover the dollar (1,000 points) you can then get the item for free, and will not pay tax.
- Another example would be 12,000 points ($12.00) towards any clothing purchase of $45.00. In this case, you may not receive the order for free, however you can combine it with other surprises or your main surprise pot.
- To use my $34.00 in surprise points pictured above, I will combine the 3 surprise offers. One is for 12,000 points towards any Kmart purchase of $60.00 or more. One is for 10,000 points towards $10.00 in the shoe department and one for $45 towards clothing. I will purchase $15.00 in shoes and $45.00 towards clothing to get my $60.00 order for $26.00. Now I call that a deal!
I have ordered an item and paid nothing for it just from spending about an hour a day on the Shopyourway.com website. To some it may be time consuming, but for me I have time while the kids are at school so it seems like no big deal for me.. I shop at Kmart regularly anyway so why would I pay full price elsewhere?
- Do not forget, rewards points do expire. Every surprise has an expiration date, and your main point pot will have one too, however these do not expire as quickly. If you're planning to make a purchase for free, make sure you get to use the points before they're gone. The more you purchase, the more points and surprises you will receive!
Read the fine print on Surprise points.
When you receive your surprise points and you are ready to use them, make sure to check the terms and conditions of each surprise. Often times they will require you to use them for a specific department. Some may not allow you to use them on clearance as well. There may be surprise points that allow you to use them towards any purchase, just make sure you meet the purchase price requirement to redeem. Either way, it will still save you some money, especially if you are already going to purchase those items anyway.
Use Ebates with your purchase!
Ebates is a rebate program that will pay you a percentage rebate on every purchase. When you are using your surprise points to make a purchase, you get a rebate back going off the entire total, not the actual amount paid. So let's say your total came to $45.00, but you only paid $10.00, depending on the percentage back for that website, they will pay out on the $45.00. Ebates does give you free money just for shopping online. There are hundreds of stores that participate and the percentage cash back will vary from store to store. They payout by check, Paypal or you can donate the money if you choose. This company pays out 4 times a year.
Where do you like to shop?
Other benefits of being a Shop Your Way member
- At times, there will be member sales only. Just yesterday I logged on to find that items in the HOME section was an additional 15% off just for members!
- You can also clip coupons right on the website, for example one might be for $10.00 of $100.00 purchase. Certain specific items or departments will have a coupon towards money off for those items. There may be times where you cannot combine coupons with points. Just way the difference on using either/or and you will still get a savings.
- You may be offered to choose from free 2-day shipping or free economy shipping (and earn $1.00 in points for choosing economy.) At times you may need to purchase $30.00 or more to qualify for free shipping. I've only come across this once and the items were available for pick-up, so I chose not to have it shipped.
- Kmart does have online layaway! I take advantage of it for Christmas and have been for the last 2 years. You get 8 weeks to pay off the layaway contracts at bi-weekly payments. (If you use Ebates and you place an item on layaway, you will not receive any cashback until you make your layaway payments. At that time it will be counted as a purchase for every layaway payment, and you will receive the cashback determined by how much you paid.) Watch for deals a couple months before Christmas, they usually offer $1.00 down layaways and I have taken advantage of this. Works great if something is on sale or clearance and you know you can pay it off within that 8 weeks. You can also pay off early, and as soon as final payment is received they start to process your order.
I hope all this information will you get the most out of the website. I have saved a couple hundred dollars just in the 4 months I have been a member. I will continue to try to win points because my family is always going to need things. If you have any questions or suggestions, please comment below, I would be happy to help!
© 2016 Heather Darnell