ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

IRS Audit Manual: IRS Penalty and Interest Abatement

Updated on December 20, 2011
KeithTax profile image

Keith Schroeder writes The Wealthy Accountant blog and has over 30 years of experience in the tax field.

This article completes the IRS Audit Manual. I have provided you with information on preparing for the audit, the first meeting, appeals, offers in compromise, and more. Now I want to show you how the IRS will abate and refund penalties and interest.

Too many accountants do not use this powerful tool to save their clients money. If you ever owe the IRS and are assessed a penalty or interest, print out this article and take it to your accountant and demand he file Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement. It is a good idea to bookmark this article for later reference.

The IRS does not automatically grant all requests for abatement. But if you follow the instructions, your success rate will exceed 90%. Since penalties can double your liability to the IRS, it is important to ask for abatement.

When to Request Abatement

Abatement is one of those unique animals in taxes. Before you can request abatement, you first must pay the tax and penalty. Once the tax and penalties are paid for a tax period, you can file for abatement.

Example: You owe money for one tax year. You paid your tax bill on installments. When you make your final payment, file for abatement of the penalties. You have two years from payment to make the request. Requests after two years are denied.

Example: You owe taxes for multiple years. It may result from an audit or several years of unfiled tax returns. Rather than wait until all years taxes are paid, file abatement after each year is paid. The IRS will apply the refund, if abatement is granted, to the next tax period. This next tax period is paid off faster now. When you finish paying the last year's balance due, the IRS refunded abatement will get mailed to you.

Interest Abatement

There are only two reasons the IRS will accept to abate interest: IRS error or IRS delay. If the IRS gave you incorrect written advice, you have reason to file for abatement of interest. The same applies if the IRS unduly delayed an audit or other event (IRS lost your papers) that lead to an interest assessment.

Remember that incorrect IRS advice must be written for interest abatement consideration. This includes email advice, too. In some cases, IRS publications are wrong and later corrected. If you relied on an error in an IRS publication, you have a good case for interest abatement and refund.

Penalty Abatement

This is the most common reason to file for abatement. I think Form 843 should be filed on nearly all penalties. There are several good reasons to ask for abatement of penalties: fire, theft, illness, divorce, job loss, child’s health, and business difficulties top the list. I would not lie when filing Form 843 (or in any other matter with the IRS). Instead, lay out the facts and ask for abatement under "reasonable cause."

Important Points

Form 843 should only take a few moments to fill out. Your explanation should be three or fewer sentences. My experience shows that the longer the explanation, the better the chance you get denied. I had a CPA firm a few years back ask me for help on an abatement case. They had attached three pages of explanation. We narrowed it down to three sentences.

Make certain you include all information asked for on Form 843. Once the IRS denies an abatement claim, it is unlikely they will allow it latter. My opinion, you get one shot.

This powerful tool can put some cash back in your pocket. If you have any "reasonable cause", file for abatement of IRS interest and penalties. The worst the IRS can say is, “No.” My simple approach to abatement has yielded a 92% success rate in my office. That might be the reason some CPA firms ask me to file their abatements. Go figure.


This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

Show Details
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)