jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How to get credit

1. HubPages profile image
    HubPagesposted 8 years ago

How to get credit

2. JustSimple info profile image80
    JustSimple infoposted 8 years ago

If you are young and in college getting credit is fairly easy.  There is probably someone on every campus trying to get college kids to sign up.
    Credit can range from a credit card like Visa, or MasterCard.  Or the various other types of credit... read more

3. Jeff Ragan profile image61
    Jeff Raganposted 8 years ago

Now if I were a person with no credit at all, where would I begin??  Maybe my goal is to buy a house someday and I know I need credit in order to do so.  Here's how to get started:

1) Obtain a secured credit card at your credit union or bank.
    2) Use it and pay it off in full early each month.

Rinse and repeat each month for about 6 months.  Then obtain an unsecured credit card.

Do the same thing for 6 months.

If you're renting and have proof your rent is on time every month, like with canceled checks and rent receipts, this is credit history you can use.

If you pay auto insurance, cell phone, once again this is credit also.

Just a few pointers, hope this helps.

Jeffrey Ragan

4. profile image59
    foreignpressposted 8 years ago

You don't want credit. It's borrowing money you don't have. Then you pay it back with interest. Sometimes the interest rates are 18 percent or more. There have been changes in credit laws recently that do not favor the lenders. But the lenders, such as banks and private lending institutions, are going to get their profits anyway. Fall behind in credit payments and they will hound you to hell and beyond.
       Credit is a form of servitude. It is an obligation that hangs over your head like a black cloud. Credit is okay only if you have a steady stream of income. If that income flow is disrupted, as it always is at some time in your life, you are still obligated to make payments.
        So you're asking the wrong question. The question should be: How can I live my life WITHOUT credit? In fact, that is an excellent hub (if it hasn't been done). We are a nation of consumer addicts. We want, we buy, and buy some more even if we don't need it. Living without credit is hard because you do without what other people have. But you have something they don't: No credit obligations.
        Other posts here have suggested a secured credit card then "graduating" to an unsecured card. But it's like "sampling" a drug like marijuana. After awhile it's hard drugs. And you're hooked.
        Learn to live without credit. It can be done. And more and more people wish they had.

working