jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

Is it legal to ask donations for yourself?

1. P. Kaevas profile image61
    P. Kaevasposted 8 years ago

Is it legal to ask donations for yourself?

Im wondering if its possible to earn money out of donations from others? if the money is for your own use?

2. bearclawmedia profile image60
    bearclawmediaposted 8 years ago

This is a good question, legal is probably not the right word. You can ask all you want.  It is legal to ask folks to donate money to you but is it ethical? What are you using the money for? Have you decided to just live off of others and not contribute to society. Forget about a job I will just beg in front of the local supermarket. Perhaps you have a sick family member and you need the money for an operation. I would probably give you money for that if I believed your story. Perhaps you want to build a meeting place for your community on your property for donations. Sure if I am part of your community and could see how it would benefit everyone I would donate. Unless you are using that money to the honour and glory of your neighbour folks are not going to look upon you favourably and will probably not donate. Bit of a paradox eh?

3. SOKCGOLD profile image59
    SOKCGOLDposted 8 years ago

Your question is very unclear and a bit contradictory. When you say "earn money" are you saying that asking people for money instead of working a job will be your primary source of income? If so, the word for that is begging. Donation implies a gift given with an altruistic motive to help someone who can't help themselves. I have given money to beggars (not often - I'm more likely to give food if that's what they say they need the money for), but I'm much more willing to donate to a good cause. Which, to me at least, this isn't as you have expressed it. As far as "legal" goes, if your "job" is begging, the money you received (if you get any) would be considered income and you should pay taxes on it. If, on the other hand, you are talking about a different circumstance entirely, my answer would be different.

4. profile image45
    happiness1983posted 7 years ago

I need help. I don't know what to do anymore... I'm unemployed and don't have money to pay the rent and other bills... If you are fortunate, please help me. Or even 1$, maybe is nothing for you, but helps my family to eat. Give Money To People Who Need It. Thank you. Thank you so much. Who gives get more.

To donate, please click:  http://sites.google.com/site/ajudarhelp/

5. SaiKit profile image72
    SaiKitposted 7 years ago

This is actually a very good question. There is nothing wrong with asking donations for yourself, but there maybe tax issue and legal stuff to deal with?

There is tons of things that an individual can do for the greater good of many, but can't do without a lot of time commitment, so she need donation.

So people, please stop discussing whether this is moral and just answer this question!!!!

I want to know the answer too. Any accountant here?

6. Carly Giordano profile image54
    Carly Giordanoposted 4 years ago

Yes it is legal. If it is Ethical. Example: please help me raise money for my dog

7. Diana McNulty profile image72
    Diana McNultyposted 4 years ago

I think many of the previous responses were sent with the assumption that the person asking for donations is not "earning" them. Here's a hypothetical example: Billy is an author of short stories. He runs a website and publishes his stories there. He asks his readers to please donate if they like the stories. He is clear that the donations are to compensate him for his time and allow him to continue to produce these stories.
    I don't feel that this is unethical. Billy will need to pay taxes and should talk to his accountant about that, but he is providing a service and asking for compensation from those who benefit from his work. Good for Billy.
    Just be sure that you're clear about what the donations are for. Misleading people into thinking they're donating to charity WOULD be unethical.

1. Ferhan Patel profile image60
      Ferhan Patelposted 23 months agoin reply to this

This is the best answer. As long as people know just what exactly they are donating to, there are no legal issues.

8. Marius Conradie profile image55
    Marius Conradieposted 4 years ago

Yes AND No

You can collect donations legally for yourself. Charity organizations have employees and still need to pay them. If you own the charity you can essentially write your own pay cheques.

You will however need to make sure to pay any and all required taxes. This is the most important part to stay out of trouble. This whole question I believe is really a tax question. Know how to declare the 'donations'/'income' and which taxes applies. It might be simplest to just declare it as normal income.

You could also create an non-pofit organization and might get some tax benefits this way.

So yes it is legal, if done correctly.

9. stbrians profile image76
    stbriansposted 24 months ago

People are ready to  donate  for an honest, worthy and a clear cause. It is illegal to get money on false pretences

10. Aiacono profile image90
    Aiaconoposted 5 months ago

Earn money out of donations? Do my tax dollars count?