jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

should children pay for room and board

1. profile image47
    pantosposted 7 years ago

should children pay for room and board

what age

2. kgnature profile image57
    kgnatureposted 7 years ago

In my opinion, not until they finish college. Until then my kids are my responsibility.

3. profile image0
    dracaslairposted 7 years ago

no they shouldn't till age 18.they can't really till then.as a teen i could do is babysit or clean houses.

4. SteveoMc profile image73
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

If they are able to pay, then they should pay.   We never charged our son, however, my brother always charged his kids when they had a job.   This he put into a savings account for them.   Later when they wanted to borrow money or needed help with something like a car or tuition, he would just take it out of their savings.   This was a good lesson for them and it turned out to be a tidy little savings account when they were in need.  I wish I had done it myself.

5. Shawn M. profile image60
    Shawn M.posted 7 years ago

This question interested me because I grew up in a family of 6 siblings and whenever any of my brothers (4) and sister (1) graduated from high school, it was almost like clock work that they then started to pay room & board if they didnt move out. 

Being the youngest of the 6 I am not sure if this was mom & dad saying that they needed to learn responsibility or it was mom & dads way of saying - GET OUT!!

In either case, I think it made an impact on my life and showed me that it is important we all learn responsibility early on and if paying for room and board is part of that (which I think it is), then each child should.

working