are retirement homes really advisable for an old person......do workers there re

1. sir_tallest profile image64
    sir_tallestposted 7 years ago

are retirement homes really advisable for an old person......do workers there really treat the...

elderly badly

2. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

It depends on the individual home, some are good and some are bad. That said, if it's possible for someone to remain in their own home, an assisted-living facility that still allows them to be independent but get the in-home care they need, or with family then that's usually the best way to go. Nursing homes are depressing places, and the people who go there are very aware that the vast majority only leave when they die. Many don't do well with them at all, but they are the only option for some low-functioning, high-need individuals. The best way to prevent mistreatment of family members who are in such homes is usually to visit them regularly, pay attention to the condition of them and their environment, ask questions, and address any concerns. If someone is just "dumped" in a home then there's a much higher chance that no one will notice if they're not getting quality care.

3. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

To tell you the truth that is a fear I have. If I can possibly prevent it I won't let my folks end up in a retirement home. I hear people are working out live-at-home options. Perhaps I will be able to arrange live-in help for them, but for myself, the retirement home is something I hope to avoid for my folks, if I can prevent this in any way. Thanks for the downer.

Just kidding. big_smile We need to think about these things.

working