jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Don't credit cards lead to unnecessary buying?

1. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

Don't credit cards lead to unnecessary buying?

2. ekscalibur profile image38
    ekscaliburposted 6 years ago

Yes,credit cards lead to unnecessary buying,i'm sure if you don't have a credit card when you go shopping you would only buy what you had in mind in the first place.

3. shazwellyn profile image53
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

The problem with credit cards is nothing to do with the card  itself.  It is human behaviour.  People that circum to temptation tend to get their fingers burned.  The concept of credit cards, fundamentally, is sound and you can even make money on  them if you are clever.  For example, I get cash back on my capital card for purchases spent.  I put all my bills on this and end up with a bonus from the year's spending.  I pay off the balance in full every month.

Unnecessary buying is the behaviour of the owner of the card.

4. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

All on his own, my son figured out how to use the credit card...
    He only buys things when he has the cash for it..,,but  puts it on the card, then pays the card right away...

5. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think having credit cards can lead to unnecessary buying if a person is not careful.  A credit card used properly can be an asset.  It takes a tremendous amount of will power to use it properly.  If a person can get but without having a card at all, it's a good thing.

6. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Do credit cards lead to unnecessary buying?  This author thinks they do, and explains why, and the pitfalls of the system. read more

7. helmutbiscut profile image74
    helmutbiscutposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on the person using the credit card.  For me personally, I opt to not have one at all.  When I did have one, it was a lot easier for my spending habits to get out of control.  Now, I have no debt and only buy what I can pay for with cash.

8. ringlawncare profile image63
    ringlawncareposted 6 years ago

I used to abuse credit cards, now I just save change and one dollar bills, sometimes I'll throw a 5 in there! Always said I would not use credit cards as an excuse to file bankruptcy.

9. privateye2500 profile image45
    privateye2500posted 6 years ago

No - not all by themselves.  Paypal can be used just as easily...along with many other ways to over-spend.

Here is my point - it's like *guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people*.

Theory is the same.

People NEED to learn financial responsibility or the having or not having of a credit card is NOT going to stop them from over extending themselves financially.

It's like gambling.  Can you walk away with having spent just 20$...?

Guess I agree with Shaz :-}

working