Is college worth the expense, time and effort?

1. Cheds profile image82
    Chedsposted 6 years ago

Is college worth the expense, time and effort?

2. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 6 years ago

We choose (or let a child choose) a college for all of the wrong reasons.  We don't look at it as the financial decision it really is.  We or our children choose a college based on soft issues such as, my friends are going there (i.e. I have people I know to drink with), it is a pretty campus (it will be fun to play tag football on the Quad), they have a great sports program (not that I play sports, I just want to go to the football or basketball games), or they offer a program I want to take (different than a program I can use to get a job).

We spend more time researching a big screen t.v., car, or a house.  We wouldn't make any of those purchases without first deciding if we could afford it.  Then, we want to see how we can get the most for our buck.  We look for a sale, discount or a rebate with these purchase, why don't we do the same for college?

The bottom line is, selecting a college and a major is a financial decision.  Can I get a good return on my investment?  Will I have a better job, with better income potential with my education.  If I have to borrow to get the education, will I be able to pay back the loan?

I believe that in todays world, you need some advanced training or skill to get a good job, but not necessarily a college education.  If you want a career that requires a college education, look for ways to get a good education without spending a fortune.  Community colleges and state schools can be a great place to start.

3. tipstoretireearly profile image84
    tipstoretireearlyposted 6 years ago

It depends on the student.  If the student is willing to attend classes and put in the time and effort to learn, then definitely yes.  But for others, a better investment might involve learning a trade.