jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Have you used Craigslist to find freelance writing jobs?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Have you used Craigslist to find freelance writing jobs?

What are your experiences and would you recommend it? Any advice on how to avoid scams?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Most of the writing gigs I've found on my local Craigslist are nothing but scams or people who don't want to really pay a working wage.  When looking for freelance writing jobs I recommend going to businesses and telling them what you can do for them - or looking at the many freelance writing job boards that are out there.  Good ones can be found, it just takes a lot of time and patience.

3. Anthony Reber profile image37
    Anthony Reberposted 5 years ago

nope i never did that but thanks for asking

4. cheaptoys profile image59
    cheaptoysposted 5 years ago

nope I have not but if you are interested in writing short articles to be posted on blogs to send backlinks I know people who require such services

5. sivaskumar profile image61
    sivaskumarposted 5 years ago

There are plenty of other sources that can provide you great results. I don't think Craigslist is the best way to get writing jobs. I mainly use freelancer.com and odesk.com for getting new assignments.

6. Sunnyglitter profile image83
    Sunnyglitterposted 5 years ago

I have.  I avoid scams by requesting payment in advance.  Some people say no, but there are just as many that say yes.  I also make sure to send my writing contract to them and get it signed and dated.

7. Brupie profile image70
    Brupieposted 5 years ago

My experience with Craigslist is the clients aren't bad, but inexperienced in contracting jobs. 

This has two consequences to look out for:  1) Clients are reluctant to consider the value of a skilled writer.  2) Clients either don't know how to evaluate the scale of their jobs or don't spell it out.  The client may have advertised that they want a brochure written and offer a price range.  When you get to negotiating details, you find out the client wants you to not only write a brochure, but "Put together a brochure", including conceptualizing, writing the copy, designing the layout and working with the printer.  You might not feel the price fits the job anymore or even your skill set.

8. yarddog2k profile image60
    yarddog2kposted 5 years ago

I applied for a freelance writing job on CL and ended up getting spammed with all kinds of work-at-home offers. I know it came from the CL listing I applied to because I used a brand new email account when I applied. After that, I have never applied for freelance work or any kind of online work through CraigsList again. I believe that most of those "work online" offers are just to get your contact information and ad it to their list so they can sell the list or market their junk to the list. I can't prove it, but that's my thoughts and opinion.