Can I take money out of a CD, even if my aunt's name is also on the CD?

1. New 2011 Mom profile image60
    New 2011 Momposted 5 years ago

Can I take money out of a CD, even if my aunt's name is also on the CD?

My grandfather put money into CDs for me before he died. When he knew he was going into the hospital and may never come out, he had my aunt put her name on the CDs so then she can renew them, and make more money off of them for me to have in the future. Well now I want to use that money to buy a house for myself to help hold my growing family, but my aunt told me that I had to wait until I turned 25 to get that money, when I was supposed to get it at 21. I'm 20 right now, and my name is on the CDs. Some people have told me I can go and claim the money, but I'm not sure if I can. Any ideas?

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Why aren't you asking the bank where the CD is on deposit?  They will know the rules attached to the account while none of us do.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

If your name and your aunt's name are both on the CD, it would depend on the wording.  John Doe or Jane Doe - either one can cash it out.  John Doe and Jane Doe, both signatures must be there to cash it in.

You need to get a look at the CD's or go to the bank and ask the assistant manager to help you find out whose name is on the CD's for sure.  If it is yours AND hers, or just hers, you have no choice but to wait until she agrees to sign with you.

working