jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What happens if a person dies without life insurance and their family can't pay

1. blessed365 profile image76
    blessed365posted 5 years ago

What happens if a person dies without life insurance and their family can't pay for a burial?

Is there a cheap alternative for someone who can't afford a casket. Do you have to cremate people without insurance and no money?

2. PenHitsTheFan profile image76
    PenHitsTheFanposted 5 years ago

Some funeral homes will let you finance. If you live in a small town or use a small funeral home, they are probably more likely to help with this. My Mom had cancer and was not able to get insurance. We were able to make monthly payments. If you have a Sam's Club around, they do sell them there too. You could probably put it on a card if need be.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

Actually I have always been for cremation. Of course anyone dying without insurance has little say in what happens to their body after their spirit transitions. Furnerals are really for those of us who are left behind. I've seen families go into major debt to have a "proper" send off.
    We learn early on that we are evenutally going to die. Unless one is a child they should either set aside money or have a funeral policy if they want to "go out in style".
    Having said that if a person was a Veteran there probably is some government assistance available. Outside of that I can't think of any other public funds to help out.

4. LandmarkWealth profile image80
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

There is one other option that you may find is a bit cruel.  But in most cities there is a way to basically disown the deceased.  In NYC, those who pass away and have no assets and no next of kin get sent to Potters Field.  There is usually recourse in almost any city for those that are truly indigent.  However, keep in mind it is not much of a funeral, just a simple burial with no mass or anything.

working