jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are some specific things you learned about finances from your parents?

1. Janellegems profile image66
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

What are some specific things you learned about finances from your parents?

Do you follow some things they taught you or follow your own?

2. profile image0
    jlcustompcposted 5 years ago

Always pay your bills before you play with your money!

3. jamesrcooper profile image83
    jamesrcooperposted 5 years ago

Pay yourself first! It's not how much money you make, it's how disciplined you are about saving money and planning for a rainy day that separates those who are financially sound and those who are not. So, before you pay anything, make sure you are putting aside at least 10% of each paycheck towards your families financial goals.

4. meditatio profile image60
    meditatioposted 5 years ago

Save in case something wrong happens and be happy to pay your taxes because it means you do have money.

5. hair bender profile image69
    hair benderposted 5 years ago

Pay with cash only or don't buy it at all!
    Make sure to tithe to God, and tithe to yourself.

6. celialy123 profile image38
    celialy123posted 5 years ago

my mum would love to save money, and my father is quite different. so, most of my time i have no idea , but i thing spend monet wisely is more important.

7. floriferous profile image60
    floriferousposted 5 years ago

"Money doesn't grow on trees."  That was lesson one, I think. smile

Pay your monthly bills on time to avoid interest.

Never let your monthly payments exceed the budgeted portion of your monthly income. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

Get one credit card to build a credit history. Use it, but use it sparingly. Pay it off each month.

Stick to a budget.

Open a savings account and put the same set amount into it each month. Learned it. Never stuck to it. Hence my looking at trees a lot. Always hopeful.

Enjoy your money. Travel. When you're flush, treat yourself and be generous with those in need. A lifetime of hard work and struggle isn't much of a life. Be frugal and careful with money, but have fun with it as well.

8. Janellegems profile image66
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

Thank you everyone for responding to the question.  I appreciate all your comments.

working