Who is debt free? How much did you pay off?

1. yeagerinvestments profile image87
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

Who is debt free? How much did you pay off?

I am working on paying off debt and need some inspiration.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Except for the house payment, we are debt free.  I had an unexpected job offer and so I went to work a few days a week for a decent hourly rate and applied all of it to our debts.  2 car payments and 2 credit card balances.  I can't really tell you how much, it has been 3 years.  Probably in the neighborhood of $12,000.  It wasn't too terribly bad. So we started with the cars, as we had the credit card balances on zero interest.

Paid regular payments then my check went towards one car until paid, then the next car.  Then took the extra with the car paid off and my check and applied that to the next car.  Then  the credit card balances.  Once those were paid, I made a list of large expenses on our home we needed, new garage doors, paint, various things like that and I started on those. I say "I" because my husband was on board with it, but he leaves all financial decisions to me (no pressure:-) 

So we got a lot of things done around here and then (cue dramatic music) my husband had to retire unexpectedly from his job due to an injury and our income dropped like a rock! So it was a good thing all that stuff got paid off. Wish I could have paid off the house but not enough time.

I also liked to make payments online that way I could make extra payments if a few extra dollars showed up. 

Feels good but it is a constant battle to stay that way.

working