Can they track my debit card info from self checkout after stealing?

1. profile image51
    symphony88posted 5 years ago

Can they track my debit card info from self checkout after stealing?

I was stopped at a CVS today for shoplifting.  What happened was I put an 11 dollar makeup item in my purse.  I then picked up a few cheap items to buy.  I went to the self-checkout and payed for the few items (with exception to the item I concealed in my bag, of course) with my debit card.  Once I finished I headed to the door but was stopped by an LP.  She told me to come to the back.  I acted like I didn't know what was going on but once inside the back room I have her the stolen item and left.  She never asked for any information from me at all and just let me go after I gave her the item.

2. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

If their system is anything like Walmart's then yes, they can find out your name from the check-out. I discovered this when I used my discount card for my roomates' purchases. One of the managers took me aside and asked me about it, providing the names of my roomates that they had gotten from the register because my roomates used their debit cards.

They'll probably keep an eye out for you now that loss prevention knows you stole, but if the amount you stole (or were trying to steal) is under a certain amount, they really can't do much about it.

It is very strange that they didn't ask for more information from you.

Maybe you should not steal things. That would keep you from having problems like this.

working