jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should private student loans be dischargable by bankruptcy why or why not?

1. wellspoken profile image60
    wellspokenposted 5 years ago

Should private student loans be dischargable by bankruptcy why or why not?

since 2005 bush changed the law to prohibit this. do you think this law will ever be reversed? why or why not?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 5 years ago

Yes!  I think the poor need a bailout on these things, not the rich, like docs and lawyers who don't pay off their loans.  Bankruptcy, amnesty, whatever.

3. LandmarkWealth profile image79
    LandmarkWealthposted 5 years ago

Generally I don't think any loan should be dischargeable, just restructured to a more affordable payment plan.  Bankruptcy is not always a result of poverty.  Many celebrities and atheletes have declared bankruptcy after making millions. Same is true for corporations.   It's often a result of just mismanagement and a lack of accountability for your actions.   Nobody ever thinks aboutthe counter party who won't get paid back what they loaned.  There is almost always an alternative payment plan that could work out for all parties.

4. tamarawilhite profile image94
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

If private student loans were dischargeable, what would lenders repossess to try to reclaim their lost investment in the student?
    The end result would be far fewer student loans in the future and loans only made to those almost certain to repay it, denying far more people the option of borrowing to pay for college.
    I think we need to tighten lending standards, and allow some loan forgiveness but not total forgiveness.

working