jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

How do you live on a tight budget?

1. Louise Lately profile image70
    Louise Latelyposted 4 years ago

How do you live on a tight budget?

Do you have any tips from your experience?

2. Thundermama profile image90
    Thundermamaposted 4 years ago

Menu plan and write down everything. I also try to barter for as much as possible, and car pool whenever possible.

Louise Latelyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Thundermama! Good tip re bartering - I need to do that more!

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

Very frugally. Keep a journal of where every penny goes. This way you can see where your money can be used fro bare necessities and definitely not any wants. I think many have experienced this way of living in college. I couldn't eat another ram-an noodle for no amount of money. smile

Hi JThomp42! That's a very good tip. It's all about keeping track of expenses and staying in control. It's hard to stay on a budget in London as everything is super expensive - thanks for your answer

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome Louise.

4. Kimberly Turner profile image79
    Kimberly Turnerposted 4 years ago

For each month I make a list of all the bills I have and what I will be typically spending on them. So for example I pay gas/electric each month. Obviously this will vary, but I ballpark what I think it will be guestimating based on my last few months bills. I always guestimate high, just in case one month it is. I do this for each bill. I also do this for my credit card (which I use for the odds and ends I need for the month like gifts, impulse purchase etc.) I also factor in a budget for entertainment, like if I wanted to go to the movies. I add all that up and figure out what I would spend for a month. If this is more than what I take in, I examine what my expenses are and see if there are ways to cut down... maybe don't use the air conditioner in the summer or cut down on how much I go to the movies.

So it is really about what you need to spend combined with what you would like to do and how much that would cost. Then you examine where you money is going and see if there are ways that you can chop it down.

Hope that helps!

Hi Kimberly! And thanks very much for your informative answer! These tips will be really good for my budget template:) Very helpful!

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

By watching every penny. Recycling, having your own garden (herb in my house), couponing (not the best, but it helps), going to thrift stores for clothes for the kids (they grow out of those quick and you might as well save), walking to the grocery store (if it's close by) instead of driving the car to save gas and get exercise at the same time.

Hi Iburmaster! And thank you for your answer - that's some very helpful tips. I should really try to grow some more herbs at home. I only have basil at the moment but I could arrange for so much more!

2. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The basil ph in my garden is high right now but other herbs are so much more valuable to have in your garden. It's amazing what you can do with your garden! Try anything you want, play around with it and learn what you like. It is specifically yours.

3. Louise Lately profile image70

Your so right and I'd love to have a garden! - I live in a city flat but if I had a garden I'd grow herbs, vegetables and all sorts of things:)

4. lburmaster profile image83
      lburmasterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Check out some garden designs on Pinterest for a tight space. You can even have a wall garden!

5. Louise Lately profile image70

What a good idea! I will do that now, thanks! smile

working