jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do they teach enough personal finance skills in school?

1. ilikegames profile image81
    ilikegamesposted 2 years ago

Do they teach enough personal finance skills in school?

It seems like despite a world that revolves around money (and how well you can manage it) there is no change in the amount of personal finance education given in schools. Topics like interest, managing your day to day finishes, budgets, investing. Do these things need more focus in the school syllabus?

2. Kara Skinner profile image84
    Kara Skinnerposted 2 years ago

Definitely. I graduated high school without knowing much about taxes buying a house or buying a car. I can sort of budget my income and I know about investments but that is from a lot of Internet research and less from school. Since a lot of kids go into college straight out of high school and immediately go into debt financial skills should be essential for school.

3. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I really don't know today what they teach. I learned to budget when I took a home economics class that was co-ed (I am of the male gender). I never considered things like budgeting, meal planning, and how to balance a checkbook until I took that class. I was not taken with surprise when I moved out. Plus, I gained real understanding of what my parents had to do financially.

4. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Sarah....I'm not even fully aware of what's being taught (or not taught) in classrooms today.  I haven't had teens in school in over a decade.
    However, your question brings up one of my serious concerns about what SHOULD be taught.  "Financial Skills" is definitely one I would encourage all schools to add to their curriculum!   This has always been my opinion of a "no-brainer."
    One of the most vital lessons we can provide our young adults is in having a good solid grasp on one's finances.  It's common sense to provide our kids with the ABC's of "money." 
    After all, $$$$ is what they are going out into the world to seek & create for themselves.   Doesn't it seem an egregious oversight not to teach them what to DO with that money??
    Thank you for asking this question.  I hope it succeeds in stirring up thought & action!.

5. mactavers profile image92
    mactaversposted 2 years ago

Judging from the number of companies that are debt counselling services and legal firms that handle bankruptcy, many people are unable to handle their finances, or to practice financial planning for the future.

6. Jeannieinabottle profile image90
    Jeannieinabottleposted 2 years ago

Schools do not focus enough on finances.  I know kids graduating from high school or college now that have no idea how to balance a checkbook or how to write a check.  Sure, not many people use checks anymore, but you still need to know how to write one.  And you certainly can't rely on your bank to balance your account.  You've got to know how to do that yourself or it is easy for someone to cheat you.

I personally wished I'd learned about stocks, interest rates, etc.  I have no idea what I am doing!  I really did not need all those algebra classes... I need to know how to save for retirement!

7. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

I learned absolutely NOTHING in public government school, and so no, I learned absolutely NOTHING of any worth to life whatsoever in school. I have used nothing from my lifetime of public school education. Anything I learned, I learned on my own. Public school is a joke, and to count on it teaching anything of worth is a mistake. If you want your kids to know anything at all, teach them yourself.. or one day they will teach themselves. You can't right a wrong system.. period

8. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 2 years ago

I think this needs to be addressed in schools more and the younger you are when your start learning about handling money, the better it is for you in the long run.  Most young people have some type of part time job these days.

You're never told to plan for the future. Buying a house or choosing a savings plan or very important things and if you even had a little bit of a clue about them, it would be very useful.

9. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

Not enough, and it is disappointing to see the middle school finance class materials often donated by credit card companies. Dave Ramsey's financial literacy classes for 6th-12th grade are much better.

working