Do you claim any hubpages (or other blogging related) business expenses on your

1. huntnfish profile image98
    huntnfishposted 7 months ago

Do you claim any hubpages (or other blogging related) business expenses on your tax returns?

This year will be the largest earnings I report for hubpages related income. I was discussing with a friend and he suggested I start keeping track of my writing related expenses throughout the year. I currently don't, it was always more of a hobby. Do you claim any writing related business expenses? I figure services such as keyword research tools are a safe bet? I will likely consult a professional to be on the safe side, but I was just curious.

2. profile image60
    Salty Sam 54posted 7 months ago

Not sure which side of the pond you are, huntnfish, but here in the UK you can claim quite a few things for expenses.

Note books and writing material, obviously. But any books you buy can also be claimed against taxes. You can also claim for cinema and theatre tickets.

If you join any professional bodies you can claim the fees as expenses as well. If any professional body also requires training to remain a member this too can be claimed.

Also equipment such as laptops, printers et cetera can be claimed for. And if you work from home some costs such as the use of your phone and broadband can also be claimed, obviously only a percentage can be claimed if they re not used exclusively for your writing.

Also HMRC will require you to register as a writer. There website has further information which can help you.

working