Have you ever had your identity stolen? What can you share about the experience

1. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 4 months ago

Have you ever had your identity stolen?  What can you share about the experience?

Listening to the news about another data breech; this one from Equifax, a large credit reporting company.  Immediately after the story a radio commercial comes on about Lifelock telling the audience that they can scan the "dark web" to see if personal information is being fraudulently used.  It seems as if were in a peak period of identity theft issues.  Has anyone ever had an experience with their identity being stolen?  What happened and how did you recover?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13721461_f260.jpg

2. annart profile image86
    annartposted 4 months ago

Sort of; my credit card details have been used a couple of times before.  Fortunately, both times the bank saw it as unusual activity and asked me if I had made the purchases (about £400).  I hadn't of course so they stopped the card and investigated further, though I heard no more about it.  I was reimbursed the money by the bank.
    It's worrying though, isn't it?  I'm very careful how I use my card and I shield my pin code etc. but it seems they beat us all if they really want to.
    That was scary enough so I dread to think what it's like to have one's total identity stolen.  It's the stuff dark films are made of.
    Good question.

3. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 4 months ago

A family member cashed checks from my two jobs and kept the money. Don't talk to her anymore, though I did not press charges, either.

working