jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Have you ever been the victim of identity theft?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image97
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been the victim of identity theft?

If so, do you know how your information was compromised and what did you do to fix it?

2. greencha profile image71
    greenchaposted 5 years ago

To be truthful Sherry I don't know?-Is it possible many people wldnt know?

Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I suppose it possible, but I really had in mind people who have been impacted by it, like having fraudulent charges on their credit cards and having their credit ruined.

3. R W Bobholz profile image69
    R W Bobholzposted 5 years ago

Yes I have. My application to take the bar exam was stolen from the mail. It contained all the information needed. There are varying types of identity theft as well, from pretending you're a different person online to taking out new lines of credit in this person's name. There are, unfortunately no good types and hardly any resources being allocated to prevent this fraud.

To fix mine, I had to have a fraud alert on my credit scores. This way, no new credit cards, loans or lines of credit can be taken out in your name. I put verbal passwords on all my bank accounts and changed my online passwords and security questions for anything online. I also opened up a investigation with the FTC (877) IDTHEFT (877-438-4338). In the absolute worst cases, you can request a new SSN, but this will destroy any credit you've built up over the years.

Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the useful information.

4. joym7 profile image69
    joym7posted 4 years ago

I am not but not sure about this. Coz most of people didn't know about this smile read my hub about new id theft trend in 2013 - http://hub.me/af1iK

working