jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

We almost got it made...

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 6 years ago

One of today’s Yahoo financial headlines is: “HP’s implosion continues – Hapless Board prepares to hire Meg Whitman”
    For a minute I though it was about us – the hubbers – and our hopes of seeing some favorable decisions that have less to do with pleasing Google and more to do with improving the quality of the site.
    No such luck! Meg is being considered for a CEO position at Hewlett Packard instead, so we at HP poor people are left with the struggle of pleasing the wild Panda

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Bearing in mind that only when the google algorithm decides we have "quality" content will we get any traffic, who would you rather have making the decision?  A Harvard English professor, Meg Whitman or that algorithm? 

While I might detest the idea that we must please the wild Panda it remains quite true.

Petra Vlahposted 6 years agoin reply to this

So you think that the algorim knows quality and appreciates creative writing?
        I thought it was designed to just pick up key words (whatever they call them in professional terms) My hubs do not have AdSense and I do not expect any material reward from writing on HP, but it bothers me to see the Panda taking issue with my pictures and asking me to replace them or have my hubs deleted.
        As for Meg, I have little faith in her as well, maybe not a Panda, but a heyana for sure

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You missed the point entirely.  No, the Panda algorithm does not know or recognize quality, creative writing.  What it does do, though, is provide the SERPs, which give us the traffic we want.

Whether we want it or not we either please the algorithm or forget about getting any traffic at all.

Nor does Panda ask you to replace pictures or delete hubs.  That comes from HP in an effort to please the Panda algorithm.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

lol lol

Ha, ha is right and sad

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you in the forums Petra. Long time, no see, no speak, no nothing? sad

3. davenmidtown profile image85
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

The algorithm understands quality and relevancy of how words are used.  I am not too sure if it understands the creative process.  It will consistently rank articles with poor grammar lower. It also punishes if key words are used to excessively.  It also compares activity and is kind of a whore to popularity in that sense.  In truth, however, I am not even sure Google understands exactly how the algorithm behaves or why.

I think Sarah Palin is the only other person I dislike more then Meg Whitman....

I am with you 100% both in regards to Google's "smart" algorim and with Sarah Palin lach of any talent. Let's be fair now, she does have nice legs... and if she makes the right decisions (with her legs, that is) who knows

4. davenmidtown profile image85

mannequins all have nice legs too and I think they may do better reciting historical facts as well.

true; nice legs are an asset, but it all depends where will they take you. Mannequins, just like Sarah, also have empty heads, so history is out of the question and so is geography until someone decids to move Russia into her backyard and unite Korea. We may even decid to make Africa a country, just to accomodate dear Srah

5. davenmidtown profile image85

not so much... I think there is a difference between not answering and just making up the answer to try to be correct...  But I think we agree non-the-less

6. davenmidtown profile image85

Besides... if someone said to her... what are you going to do about Iran... she would say... don't you mean I run?

I hope she will run all the way to Siberia from where she will still see her backyard and will also be close to Mongolia where she could win the Gray Tent and be in charge of the mules

7. davenmidtown profile image85

oh you meant the panda algorithm...

Sure I was; the one who is chasing Sarah into the wilderness…
      There is a fun discussion going on in the political forum about Sarah Palin; do you think we should join? I loved your comment about Iran – I run and I am sure others will love it too.

8. davenmidtown profile image85

this is actually a pleasant forum... there is no bible thumping and over heated debates about what god may say or not say... I will meet you at the new forum... I need to create a forum about gay christian's and adoption....

you do that and I will be there! LOL
      The Sarah Palin debate on the politics forum is kind of boring so I am out, but I liked the second part of your joke just as much as the first part.

working