jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)

Do you sell something you love for your family ?

1. emimemo profile image74
    emimemoposted 5 years ago

Everybody have something important to keep.
    It could be cars, bikes, jewelries, vintage collectable items.... anything you love.
    Can you sell that to get money for your family and friends ?

1. mvaivata profile image77
      mvaivataposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would certainly part with something of sentimental value to help out a family member.  But, I'm not suggesting that anyone who wouldn't is bad.  Me and my family have been through a lot together, so we've come to the point where we'd do nearly anything for each other.

emimemoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for your thread. You must have nice family and I respect your opinion.

2. AEvans profile image65
      AEvansposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have sacrificed things of sentimental value for family. It sometimes hurts, but I do not have any regrets.

Sentimental value items are more difficult to let go....

3. Justjed profile image60
      Justjedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I dont think i can sell to my  family members. I would rather give to the family member that needs it and sell to an outsider. That's how I have been doing it and it is personal and peculiar to me.

Thank you for your thread. I won't sell something to own family either. Well... if that item worth a lot of money and if the family member were rich, I might.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

hmmmmm....haven't had to sell anything...figured i'd do it for family and a very close friend

Your time is very valuable.

3. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 5 years ago

To help family and friends I would sell anything I owned if needed.

You are a great man for your family.

4. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

It would be far simpler to do some extra work or take out a loan than to mess around selling bits and bobs.

Actually, I don't own expensive jewellery, art works, fancy electronic equipment, designer label tat or whatever. Possessions do not interest me in general. The only valuable thing I have apart from my laptop, which I need for work, and my car, which I need for travel, is my harp. I would not sell my harp.

Harp ! wow. If you can play, it is very valuable for you.

1. WriteAngled profile image90
        WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I only bought it at the end of November. I'm taking lessons. It's difficult, but I love it. I bought it to help make up for the pain when I had to give up driving 130 miles each way to play fiddle with a group in which I had played for over 10 years. It just became too exhausting. My harp is a way in which I eventually hope to make music in an independent way, just for my own pleasure, so even if the time ever comes when I am no longer able to drive anywhere, I can still make complete music on my own.

When I was 7, a friend took me with her to piano lessons. The teacher let me have a go, and I loved it. However, my parents could not buy a piano (a) because they did not have the money, and (b) because we lived in two rooms in somebody's house and we did not have the space and anyway could not risk upsetting the landlady.

As I moved to various places, I always hoped to have a piano, but did not have the money or space (I did not think a keyboard would satisfy the yearning). Then I moved to Wales and fell in love with the harp. My harp was made in Wales by Telynau Teifi and bears a Welsh dragon smile

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6140165_f248.jpg

It is a nice harp. And Welsh must be a nice place. I used  to play oboe up to high school. I still regret I stop playing. Keep it going !

5. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

Yes, in a heartbeat.  Things are just things, nothing more.  They may have memories attached to them, or they may be something you have always wanted or are very fond of, however, they are just objects and no matter how you feel about them, they will never love you back. Family and friends are what count.

Things are just things...yes. We can never own forever.

1. profile image0
        kelleywardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've done this in tough times and never regretted it.

6. WriteAngled profile image90
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

There is no need to stop, even if you have not played for years. I learned violin in school and stopped when I was 17 to concentrate on exams. When I was 42, my daughter in her turn was learning violin at school. I wanted her to experience a broader range of music and found a folk fiddle weekend (Fiddles at Witney). She was too young to go alone, and non-participant hangers on were not accepted. So I bought a cheap fiddle and went with her as an active participant. That was the start to doors opening to all sorts of wonderful experiences, even though I am about as amateur as it gets.

working