- Politics and Social Issues»
- Social Issues
Dealing with rude comment on social media
People who start fights in comments section
After reading and commenting on articles on Huffington Post, and being attacked for my opinions, I determined that I should try HubPages. To my chagrin, it seems like the verbally violent attackers, lurk on all social media. These people make it impossible to have a civil discussion with people civilly exchanging ideas and differing opinions. After I realized that this is the case, I returned to Huffington Post and other social media where I have online friends.
I recently read a Hub article on narcissists. As I read, I realized that perhaps these dramatic, emotional, and argumentative commentators might be suffering from antisocial and borderline personality disorders. No matter how kindly you comment or respond to their comments, they hit you with all caps and insults. Some are on the verge of saying, “Your mother wears combat boots!” Could it be that these are narcissists trolling under assumed identities? It is much easier to be unkind when one is using a moniker or “sock.”
Contributions to a discussion
You might be dealing with a narcissist
·There are some behaviors that could evidence narcissistic behavior. Here are some examples:
Believing that you're better than others
- No matter what any one says they feel their answers are best and they are the authorities on the subject.
· Exaggerating your achievements or talents
- They present credentials that may be fake or not really impressive at all.
· Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
- They do not care that you respond civilly and their responses are personal and not related to the topic.
· Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
- They expect others to believe it just because they said it. (This is how people meet molesters and swindlers on line. Are they kidding!)
· Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
- They call others stupid, ignorant or whatever they feel will insult others.
· Trouble keeping healthy relationships
- They start arguments and seem to never make online friends
For more characteristics of a narcissist, go to the Mayo Clinic website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652/DSECTION=symptoms
They will always be with us
We have a responsibility to be civil on social media
The best advice is to be responsible for your own behavior. One day your words may come back to haunt you. If you are unable to come up with intelligent, non-combative responses, ignore the person. Do not argue with a fool! When you do, it becomes hard to tell who the fool is.
Why do people argue and insult people in comments
Do you feel commenters who argue and use all caps are narcissists?
<!-- Place this tag where you want the +1 button to render. -->
<div class="g-plusone" data-annotation="inline" data-width="300"></div>
<!-- Place this tag after the last +1 button tag. -->
po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);