- Politics and Social Issues»
- Economy & Government
How to Fix the High Unemployment Rate in the United States
Lay Down and Die
I've been following the news regarding unemployment benefits as I'm sure many of you have. I wonder who all of these people are who are unemployed. I can only imagine that they encompass all walks of life, young, old, singles and families. I wonder what will become of them. What do we want to happen to them? I mean, the politicians sent all the jobs away through NAFTA and GATT, then they spent trillions of dollars on phony wars and gave trillions more to companies and banks deemed to big to fail, bankrupting the nation. And now we are left with millions of people who have no job, who have used up all the unemployment insurance available and who can't get work. What would they like these people to do, just lay down and die? It's not as if people have land that they can work and many of them do not have family that they can go to. My heart goes out to them.
I suppose we should expect to see a steep rise in the crime rate. I mean what would you do if your back was against the wall with no recourse? If I were in their position I think I would march on Washington, what would you have to lose?
Now, what should be done? What I would do if I were in charge are the following:
- Provide monies for small businesses up to $5,000 (this would be given out by local committees who would determine whether the idea was worth the grant and they would also be paid for their time and made up of unemployed people).
- Give out land that could be worked either for growing crops, sustainable living or harvesting timber. (have you driven across country lately, we have a lot of land)
- Encourage inventions through grants as well. Inventions have provided a lot of jobs and wealth for this country and we are good at them. Think Internet!
- Create a task force whose only job it would be is to keep companies in America and lure companies back to America. Why is China rolling out the red carpet while we are snubbing companies who were created here and want to stay but find it fiscally impossible?
- Encourage low income subsidized housing provided by certain companies like company towns of old..
How would we pay for these programs? The money would come from a tax on all luxury items made in other countries like boats, SUV's, fur coats or jewelry worth over a certain amount or my favorite revenue building idea legalizing drugs and taxing them or how about getting out of both illegal, immoral wars that were started with lies.
This is what I would do, this is what would be done if our government had any vestige of decency left. Instead, the government seems to want the unemployed, "the useless eaters" as Kissinger called them, to just lay down and die.
**If you would like to earn money writing for hub-pages click here: http://hubpages.com/_earnmoneywriting
Related articles by Brie Hoffman
- How much money does it take to go Off-Grid?
How much Money does it take to Go Off Grid? There are 10 things that you need to consider when going off grid. water land shelter food communication power warmth ...
- Advice for those who Can't Pay their Credit Card Bills
This blog is for people out there who cannot pay their credit card bills. If you have lost your job or possibly have suffered from an illness, whatever the reason and you cannot pay your credit card...
- Do You Really Want to Know Why the U.S. Economy is Falling Apart?
It feels like everyone in this country is holding their breath. It feels like the fear is palpable. And, yes F.D.R. said that we have nothing to fear but fear itself but I would respectfully disagree with...
- Facing Foreclosure: FIGHT BACK!
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation,...