Being Heard By Congress
How To Be heard
A great number of people talk about change.Very few people do anything about change. When it comes to politicians, and getting them to change things that touch us all, we need to be doing. Doing something in this respect , means being heard. They don't know what we want, till we voice it. Politicians and corporations alike can only be moved by numbers. Numbers for or against a cause. It is our right to voice our opinions to each other. It is our duty to voice the same to them. Being heard is quite often as near as the telephone, keypad, or ink pen. Many 'grassroots' organizations, now making an impact, started out as a few voices. Even a solitary voice.
Here are some ways to be heard :
- Write or e-mail legislators/ a personal letter is most effective
- Tell your reasons for writing / share your personal story
- Let them know you will follow-up, and do!
- Ensure you contact the right legislator (you might not be taken seriously if you adress the wrong person)
- A great site to go to is www.usay.org/states
- Make phone calls / be brief and courteous
- Don't be surprised if you only talk to a staffer. Building friendly relations with staffers could be your eventual access to legislator.
- Know what you are going to say / always be prepared
The capitol switchboard is (202) 224-3121
PUT THE MEDIA TO WORK FOR YOU The most effective tool to make one heard is the media. They are always hungry for a story. Newspapers, television, radio, and web news outlets. They will make you heard.
- Radio show call-ins / if you are knowledgeable and can 'pitch' to station management
- Letters to the editor/ If you send letters in response to timely issues, in a timely manner
Social pages like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace... etc Hubpages too is an excellent forum. Can learn so much from your fellows.
Don't forget the good old-fashioned face-to-face forum either. Where the community gets to speak out. Just be ready to present your issues, and designate a spokesperson for each topic. Ask questions . Be on time. Again, be brief. Thank them for their time.
Being involved starts right where you are. Your voice could not only be heard but could shake up the world!
Congress often gets a bad rep. Often it is well deserved; often it is not...while many will complain about congress fewer will actively make their voices heard beyond their own couch.
It is interesting to note how much disdain many feel for the congressional machine:
How Does Your Representatives feel about Gun Control?
I think it is important to know in lieu of this recent tragedy and the current debate over gun control in this country. Call them and find out where they stand. It is important to let them know where you stand on the issues; don't think as some do that your voice can't make a difference.
You may consider these articles...
Laurinzo Scott 2013