Gov Christie and Gov Romney's records on job creations!

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

With track records like these, do you really think Romney can create jobs? As Gov, Romney had Massachusetts ranked 47th in job creations. And in New Jersey, Gov Christie has his state ranked 48th in job creations. Yeah I'd bet my money on either of these two! NOT! LOL If these guys as such Great Job Creators why do they rank at the bottom of the list?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney took over when Massachusetts was 47th. That was its ranking his first year.

It also faced a huge budget deficit.

He balanced the budget every year, going as far as to veto 250 individual expenditures one year, and when that was overturned, to use his emergency fiscal power to reduce the spending anyway.

After 4 years of balanced budgets, Massachusetts was 30th.

So he balanced the budget and moved the state from the back of the pack to the middle of the pack. Not bad for 4 years.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What was the MA unexployment rate under Romney? I honestly don't know.

1. profile image0

5.6 when he took office, 4.6 when he left.

2. profile image0
        Mtbailzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

His unemployment rate didn't move much though. I think it ended around the 44 mark. I wrote an article on so I'll check the exact number but it was no where near the middle of the pack.

1. profile image0

It went from 5.6 to 4.6. About the average for the nation the whole time.

2. MarkAse profile image59
      MarkAseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney does have a track record of job creation at Bain.  Even the most ardent Democrat would be wise to admit that.  Christie is a different story, a career in public service and generally speaking the only way he has worked to balance the NJ budget is by underfunding their pension system by 2.5B this year.  Those are outright lies in his speech and frankly, we deserve better from someone trying to position himself as the next in line  to the '16 Republican nomination.

1. habee profile image92

Good point.

2. habee profile image92

No, Mark - you assume you're speaking to reasonable people here, but that's not always the case. You'll notice that there are some extreme partisans who will NEVER admit anything good about the opposition, or anything BAD about their team. lol

1. MarkAse profile image59

That's politics isn't it?  It's unfortunate and keeps us from finding any type of real answers.

2. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

And what exactly is Romney's track record to create jobs, versus jobs lost, versus jobs shipped overseas?

1. habee profile image92

Compare the UE rate in MA to the UE rate in the US now.

1. profile image0
        screamingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The economy is slowly rebounding. Let's not forget who got us into this mess. And I seriously doubt given the current atmosphere with both parties. McCain, had he been elected, would be facing the same numbers at best.

1. habee profile image92

I think the economy WAS rebounding, until April. Since then, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the UE rate has been rising. I agree, BTW, that Obama inherited a mess.

1. profile image0

And why did it stop? If President Bush's tax credits were designed to generate new investment in businesses and jobs, why isn't it? Simply because many of the potential job providers are reeling in those jobs to help get Romney elected? Hence, make President Obama "Look" like he's failing. It's just more political posturing in my book!

1. profile image0

Bush's tax cuts didn't do anything for businesses. We are struggling, in part, because we have the highest marginal rate, and (depending on industry) highest to top fifth effective rate, in corporate taxes.

We don't have more employed right now because the demand isn't there. If the demand was there, people would be hiring.

2. Repairguy47 profile image59
            Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So did.Reagan. 8.2 unemployment when he took office 6.0 after his first term and that was after it went up. Inflation 11+% 4.6 after first term. So all of you who believe the convicted liar aka Bill Clinton that no president could have fixed the economy in 4 years, you should remember who looked into the camera and lied to you one more time. They don't call him slick Willie for nothing.

2. profile image0

Don't try to equate Bush with Romney. Just because two people have the same R in front of their name doesn't mean they have the same policies.

As for unemployment, we have some 750,000 more unemployed as of July than we did in April.

But you'll never hear that story in the news. The unemployment rate you hear makes it sound like people who run out of unemployment insurance are suddenly employed. It also makes it sound like people who give up and haven't looked for work within the last 4 weeks are suddenly employed as well.

Things aren't getting better, we have a real unemployment rate of 15%, where before the crash the real rate was 8%. If the 'official' rate reflected that, it would be at 12% right now.

1. profile image0

We don't have jobs because the American public had on blinders! Starting with President Reagan's deregulation! And lets notforget President Bush selling us out on NAFTA. This recession we're in is a product of Both Parties! And it will take Both Parties working together to fix it. And when I say working together I mean voting on one issue, NOT padding the bill with BS! Not setting the approach in Concrete Either. If I as a business owner, ran my business like the past Presidents, Beginning with President Reagan, I would be out of business in a short period of time! And Yes, I include them all!

1. profile image0

TYPO!!!! I meant President Clinton Selling us out on NAFTA! Sorry!

1. habee profile image92

Glad you corrected that! lol

2. MarkAse profile image59

In fairness, Mass has a lot of advantages that much of the country does not, especially in terms of recent college graduates in and around Boston.

That being said, IMO, Romney did a nice job when he was governor there.  I wish he ran his campaign in the same way he governed though, you know from the middle as a pragmatist.  That's someone I could have voted for, this conservative Republican who doesn't seem as in touch....I'm not so sure.  I'm guessing when the general election picks up he magically drifts back more to the middle.

1. habee profile image92

Mark, I wish the same thing. I prefer the moderate Romney to the too-far-to-the-right Romney.

2. profile image0

Romney would never had gotten the nomination by running as a moderate. He did what he had to.

Now that he has the nomination, he will drift somewhat to center, but not so much as to alienate his base(R voter turnout will be the deciding factor in some states, where independent votes will be the deciding factor in others).

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
          Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he did what he had to do.
          And I may be reading more into this than is there, but he doesn't seem completely at ease with himself over it.
          He's had to revise quite a few of his former positions.

So,  how do you forsee Romney distancing himself from the hard line party stance and moving left to capture those independents?
          Are we expecting new Super PAC (or campaign) ads with a more centrist message?

It's an interesting idea, Jaxson.
          My question is -- what will this look like, do you think?
          MM

1. profile image0

I really don't know what to expect.

If he gets elected, I expect to see a push toward closing tax loopholes, line-by-line budget cuts, raising some fees and/or taxes, and a moderate stance toward many issues, basically letting the law stand as it stands.

2. habee profile image92

I think and hope so. He's already bucking the GOP platform on abortion.

3. MarkAse profile image59

I understand the argument....so basically you're saying that it makes sense to run a campaign you probably don't really believe in which has to go absolutely perfectly to have any chance to win?

I mean a moderate Romney might win some of the midwest including Pennsylvania while still having a shot in places like Florida and NC.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)