$249 Million -> Bankrupt

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ … 06554.html

A123 lost to South Korea's LG Chem for the bid to make batteries for the Volt.

Another win for Americans.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read that earlier on a different site. Great.

2. movingout profile image60
      movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awarded to LG Chem to come to this country, build a plant, and create American jobs. A lot different then Romney benefiting from "blind trust interests in China", which makes him money, but doesn't create American jobs.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol.

1 - So an American company wouldn't have created jobs with  that contract?

2 - Do you have any idea how a blind trust works?

3 - Do you realize that almost any investment will directly or indirectly involve China?

2. movingout profile image60
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

President Bush was also in favor of A123 and Vieux in 2007. Company failed for lack of interest by Americans in electric cars. I guess they would rather pay high gas prices instead?

1. profile image0

Pay high gas prices, or pay high prices for electric cars(which often can't do what people need them to do).

Do you have any idea how much a Volt actually costs?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, also because the makers would rather have a cheaper overseas supplier.  Save the planet by flying parts all over the world on gas-run planes...?

1. movingout profile image60

Follow the money! Greed and profit at the expense of the American worker!

3. movingout profile image60

Everyone wants new technology, but reluctant to let go of the past in some instances. This is just such an instance. Both Adminstrations thought it was a good idea. Problem is, people talk a big game, but don't walk the walk! Yes I do know what they cost, and also remember what a car cost and gas cost was, 50 years ago! People will spend ridiculous amounts of money on cell phones and other high tech toys!

1. profile image0

Ok... so it's Americans' faults for there not being demand for an expensive, unproven, often impractical tech...

and not the government's fault for trying to artificially create the demand?

So success stories like this is better when you refer to costs? Just curious?
        http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 … al-funding

1. profile image0

You're going to need to be a bit more clear in your arguments, other than posting long articles. I don't argue with news articles.

lol...bankruptcy was filed, now watch the vultures! A123 has assets of $459.8 million and debts of $376 million. Johnson Control has made an offer as did China.China is sitting on the fence, waiting to jump on the business, not for the agreed price with 80% interest in the company, but 100% ownership of the company. If the bankruptcy court lets it go for pennies on the dollar, we lose as taxpayers. If it goes for asset price or debts, its about a wash. China wouldn't be after this company if they didn't want to be the leaders in the world in regards to batteries. Something to think about. As for my "news article", it shows Romney's approach to saving the winter olympics at a unbelieveable amount of taxpayer money. It would be worth your time to read the article. John McCain was shocked by the costs and demanded investigations.

1. profile image0

Sorry, I'm really having a hard time understanding what points you are trying to make. You respond to something I say, but your response has nothing to do with what I said.

As for the Olympics... the article is misleading. Salt Lake took $400 million in federal funding for the Olympics, not $1.5 billion.

One difference is, the Olympics were a success. Solyndra took more, and wasn't a success.

1. habee profile image92

Wasn't most of the Olympics money for security?

4. movingout profile image60

Romney did more then security!
    http://thinkprogress.org/progress-repor … tsourcing/
    Is this the way he would run the country if elected?

1. habee profile image92

I think you need to check out a better source:

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/slalom … pic-facts/

That's a better source? It the long way around explaining how all the money was spent. McCain had it right, Romney became a lobbyist and added lots of earmarks into the equation. Spin it any way you like and it's fine you'll accuse me of spinning it as well!

1. profile image0

Hint: thinkprogress is VERY left-biased.

Hint...think 47%

5. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I often see Volts driving around my work (Seattle area). Though this is a high-income area, the Volt is rather *reasonably* priced, and obtainable for those in the average income range for the area. It's base price is about 30k, as I recall. I toyed around with getting this car, but as it is newer technology, I always try to wait a few years to make sure it lasts. Any car I buy I want it to last another 200,000+ miles, and quite frankly, I still trust gasoline cars more than electric/hybrid cars to last.

That being said, if the Volt used batteries manufactured in the States, it would definitely cost more. That's just the 'inconvenient truth' here, people in Korea do very well for themselves on 15k-20k per year, wheras in the US the same production job would likely pay somewhere between 30k and 50k. The Volt would certainly sell less if it costs more, and likely wouldn't be able to sustain those expensive US workers for a long time.

Chevy did what was in the best interest to ensure the the future of their product. Whether that was in the best interest of our economy is another issue all together: Then, we must scrutinize ALL companies that outsource work or import goods from other countries. And that's a really big number.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)