jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (50 posts)

Guantanamo Bay closure - Where to next?

1. Silverspeeder profile image59
    Silverspeederposted 4 years ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22931684

What would be the best options to take in the case of the inmates at Guantanamo bay prison?

Obviously there will be some that will face US justice through their courts system but how will others be dealt with and how should they be dealt with.
    I believe the ones released to the UK were not charged with any offences and are free to do as they please, will this happen in the US do you think?

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You do realise that the ones released to the UK who were not charged with any offences were not charged because there was no evidence against them?

Silverspeederposted 4 years agoin reply to this

They were not charged because they couldn't prove anything and it would be time consuming and costly, the men had also served time so there would be no time to serve.
        I still think the people should be returned to the countries where they were picked up.

Not being able to prove anything is the same as no evidence!

Why return them to the country the were picked up in? I suspect that so much time has passed that they had no further business there. Surely returning them to their home country is best especially after all the inconvenience they have suffered.

I suppose John that would depend why they were picked up in the first place. But as you say there is no evidence against them that's why they were kept in prison for so long.
            I do believe it was said at the time that prosecutions wouldn't be in the public interest.
            As you said, they had a genuine reason for being there them why should they mind being returned there.

As I recall they were realised within an hour of returning to the UK as there was no evidence of any terrorist involvement, not because prosecution would not be in the public interest.

So, return them to the country in which they were picked up in, destitute and without the means of returning home - your humanity and humility humbles me.

Well it's obvious John that the US have some evidence as they intent putting some through their justice system. I was just wondering why they were in these countries with no obvious reason, but I suppose your right if you can't prove why they were there they must be innocent....
                I do believe there are still a few British subjects in prison there but they are probably innocent too.
                I wonder if all the British Muslim freedom fighters killing British solders are innocent as well?

So what are you saying?
                  Because some are guilty, all are guilty?

And what is no obvious reason? Isn't business an obvious reason, or religious purposes an obvious reason?

And yes, if you can't prove that they were there for illegal purposes then they are innocent.

I see where you are coming from John and i agree with what you say, but just because there is no evidence doesn't mean that they were there pursuing legal business.
                    We know that some people are involved in crime but there is not enough evidence to convict, it doesn't mean they don't do what we believe they do.
                    Have you never thought the government didn't prosecute to protect sources that may still be working in these countries, or maybe you don't believe we have those sources because we have no evidence of them.

2. HollieT profile image87
                  HollieTposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If there is some evidence then they should be tried, however, if there is none, well, speaks for itself really. Or, are you in favour of incarcerating people without evidence, without trial?

I wonder if all the British Muslim freedom fighters killing British solders are innocent as well?

Absolutely not! If there is evidence that they have committed murder then they should be tried, and if found guilty imprisoned.

But that's the point isn't it? That there should be enough evidence before we try, or condemn?

See how that works? Fundamental principles!

Or, do you think differently?

2. Zubair Ahmed profile image77
    Zubair Ahmedposted 4 years ago

GITMO is a shameful chapter in the timeline of this world and mainly the US.  One day people will wake up and accept GITMO or what it is.  No one deserves to be locked up without trial in detention.  Te only reason these guys are there is because no other country has the b**ls to speak out against the US.

working