jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

When or what will cause Trump die hard supporters to abandon him?

1. jackclee lm profile image72
    jackclee lmposted 6 months ago

In another forum, I posed the questions when will liberals give up on opposing Trump? To be fair and balanced, the question for Trump supporters is when or what actions by Trump will trigger your final abandoning of him?
    It should lead to a lively debate...
    In my case, I was not a supporter of Trump in the first place though I support some of his policies.
    I will say, I will criticize him profusely if he increased our debt by the end of his first term.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Will Trump increase the debt or will it be due to Congress (who holds the purse strings)?

There is zero doubt that the national debt will be higher in 4 years than it is now.  Politicians have no self control at all when it comes to spending other's money, and Trump has no chance of changing that.  At best he could veto budgets with a deficit, but to do so will stop spending entirely - this is an almost yearly event with the President always giving in in the end.

1. colorfulone profile image91
        colorfuloneposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I remember the government shut down in 2013 for about two weeks, all the national parks included.  Then after, Obama threatened to shut down the government again and again, and got his way if I remember right.  Its irreverent now. 

I'm trying to second guess what The Don would do.   I kind of think he would call a bluff.

2. GA Anderson profile image82
      GA Andersonposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Hello jackclee, I think one reason your other thread didn't sponsor a lively serious debate is because anything short of at least a year, or a verifiable Trump-caused crisis, is too soon or too little for an honest reassessment.

I think this popular 'First 100 days' yardstick everyone seems to be focused on, (including the presidents), is just pablum. Too many of the most important priorities of any president are economic and socially related - and 100 days is far too short a time frame to judge improvement or deterioration. Of course there are exceptions, but I think that thought is a valid one - generally speaking.

So, until time passes its judgement, all you will get are partisan responses.

GA

1. jackclee lm profile image72
        jackclee lmposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I agree. 3 month is a short period.
        My question is more of a hypothetical.
        In the case of Trump, there are two very opposite groups.
        A never Trump group and a Trump die hard.
        Either group have limits I would think. My question is trying to gage what that limit might be.
        A fun exercise and something to think about.

2. colorfulone profile image91
    colorfuloneposted 6 months ago

Have you looked at the US Debt clock lately?  It looks like a ticking time bomb just waiting to implode.   
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

working