What is the word for a government run by sycophants?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (38 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

I already know Idiocracy, Kakistocracy & Kleptocracy
    please somebody give me a word for government run by sycophants

A sycophant will never criticize or correct his superiors, being careful to be fawningly pleasant to an excessive or servile degree.

Yes,  the ass kissing of Chris Christie getting a McDonalds' burger for Trump comes to mind..

Flatterers, wrote Machiavelli in Chapter XXIII: “There is no other way of guarding oneself from flatterers except by letting men understand that you will not be offended if they tell you the truth …”
    However, Machiavelli warns rulers not to grant this freedom to speak freely to everyone, but reserve it for your trusted inner circle, and only then when you ask for it.

U.S. Palace of Versailles: The Sycophants of American Politics

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/politics-butler-ambassador-diplomat-cheering_up-cheers_up-jcon5920_low.jpg

1. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Just kinda curious, where did you learn of Machiavelli?

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Sycophancy is just a small part of the bubble Trump needs to be wrapped in to survive.

Everything in Trump's world needs to be golden. The taps, the doors, the ceilings, the smiles of his family, the glow around his huge inauguration crowd, the color of his tanning lotion...

Everything needs to tell him he is the reincarnation of Louis XIV, the Sun King.

So I am going for Sunkingocracy.

3. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

Givemeabreakcracy?

No, wait. I'm sorry. Knock the cracy off of that.
      It must be tough, being a Trump hater and scrounging for negative ideas.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, I am with the many psychiatrists who believe he has a serious mental illness. So perhaps I should not be unkind about him as a person.

His blindly following supporters and his sycophantic enablers are a different matter.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
          Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I suppose being unkind isn't so much a choice as a state of mind. I'm certain there is a psychiatric term for it.

I do wonder about things but the guy won fair and square. I get foreigners to an extent, but it saddens me that Americans choose to be so nasty to each other over this.

All we have to do is give the guy a chance. If he succeedsfor the good of the majority then yay for us.  He can't do harm on his own. (although I'm sure the decision to take out weapons of mass destruction is considered harm by the left) I don't quite understand why the reality of checks and balances is so difficult for the left to understand but, again, I'm certain there is a psychiatric term for that.

2. ptosis profile image66
        ptosisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. What does it mean to 'Make America Great Again'?
        My understanding was that it was to unfetter business and self starters so that the whole of the United States becomes richer, smarter, and growing into a better society. I understand that if we had all these laws back during the Manifest Destiny times that oil, coal, gold, trains, highways, the entire edifice as we know it today would never have existed.

What I don't understand is certain things that don't have anything to do with conservative nor progressive values:

#1 Allowing bear  and pups to be shot for sport hunting - not for food .
        #2 Allowing lead bullets to be used in National Wildlife Perserves for sport - not food, because who would want to eat lead?

Who does this benefit? Not the  common people such as you and I. No. Only really rich people who can have fun like in the old days before species endangerment and extinction.

When you listen for birds that you do not hear.
        When you look for butterflies that you do not see.
        When you depend on bees to pollinate the food you eat are gone.
        When the fish you eat is poisoned with mercury that causes you to experience nervousness, irritability, insomnia, headache, abnormal sensations, muscle twitching, tremors, weakness, muscle atrophy.
        When defunded Fed programs are gutted and you experience food poisoning because the FDA only inspects less than 1% of imported foods from parts unknown and you then experience nausea,  vomiting. watery diarrhea, abdominal pain and cramps & fever.

That is when you will miss the things you took for granted & will be gone forever because extinction is forever.

You will be reminded that your were made a fool of with a cheap slogan shilled by a life-long con man  who would just as soon kill you than look at you because the ultra-rich look upon us peons as vermin that should be wiped off the face of the Earth.

Worldwide human population crash has happened before, it will happen again. And all your aspirations & hopes for your children will be dashed like glass against granite when the tsunami crashes over you and swallows your entire life in an instant.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

*#2, the use of lead bullets indicate killing for sport only, not food.*

Unfortunately for this premise, I grew up on a diet of wild meat.  All killed with lead bullets, and not a single time did I eat that bullet.  The supposition is exposed for nothing but another effort at controlling with nothing but illogical, useless arguments. 

Like the argument that we'll see another worldwide population crash - outside of the myth of a worldwide flood, when did that ever happen?

Yes, it's quite obvious. Lead is highly toxic.

"It can leave these little particles of lead. Some not even visible to the naked eye. This is what concerns health advocates and researchers who counted in some cases hundreds of fragments of lead in x-rays of downed animals. Studies also show that the lead can actually extend as far as a foot-and-a-half from the bullet’s path through an animal - leaving the lead bullet down to 75% of its initial weight.

Adults exposed to levels below five micrograms per deciliter can have some pretty drastic consequences to their brain, heart, immune system, reproductive systems, potentially linked to things like cognitive decline and kidney disease.  there is no safe blood lead level in children" - https://undark.org/2017/01/30/undark-po … -vaccines/

2. Live to Learn profile image61

You know, there's a lot of fixing which needs to be done. I don't know what Trump will accomplish. If we unfetter small business and self starters, without giving free reign to corporations to be able to conduct business to the detriment of the average citizen, that would be a good thing.

As a hunter, I find your lead bullet argument uninformed. If wildlife which eats wildlife is suffering from lead bullets consumed then we should look toward a solution but humans don't eat the bullets. It's quite easy to remove them when breaking the carcass down. You know where the shot went in.

Trump can't fix all of our problems. There are a lot and Congress will fight tooth and nail on the bigger ones. But sooner or later we have to start chipping away at them. Now is as good a time as any to start.

All the other problems existed prior to his taking office. Let's hope he chips away at some of those. All except for the world wide population crash. You'll have to enlighten me there.

4. PhoenixV profile image64
      PhoenixVposted 6 years ago
      1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sycophancy!  Could he have been one of many pedophiles compromised?   
        Thousands of them are being arrested under the Trump Administration.

Thanks for answering my question.  I wasn't sure how to spell it.

thanks again

5. ptosis profile image66
      ptosisposted 6 years ago

I guess you'all are right - Not run by sycophants. Something scarier:

Just pulling out a few excerpts, the article is long.
      https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ … are_btn_tw

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/108bfed583ac3f3f06fb7da9eab52c8f8fa6c410/0_0_3712_2779/master/3712.jpg?w=800&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=5f6f785c8f44e6cba4cedbfc059ea88a

SCL Elections, renamed Cambridge Analytica is a a psychological warfare firm owned by one of smartest computer scientists in the world, Robert Mercer.

Eric Schmidt, (chairman of Google)

Peter Thiel, (co-founder of eBay and PayPal) owns Palantir, a data-mining firm whose clients include GCHQ and the NSA.

"There are three strands to this story. How the foundations of an authoritarian surveillance state are being laid in the US. How British democracy was subverted through a covert, far-reaching plan of coordination enabled by a US billionaire. And how we are in the midst of a massive land grab for power by billionaires via our data."

" ... capture citizens’ browsing history en masse, recording phone conversations and applying natural language processing to the recorded voice data to construct a national police database, complete with scores for each citizen on their propensity to commit crime."

"Chris Wylie's Aggregate IQ, a data and micro-targeting [individualized political messages], a military contractor using military strategies on a civilian population by sourcing Facebook information in order to identify emotional triggers for each individual voter."

http://www.aggregateiq.com

ASI Data Science, (Advanced Skills Institute),

And it's all legal because the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) includes an amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on Americans.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I read that. I need a lot of evidence to start believing in conspiracy theories and shadowy, behind the scenes manipulation of entire countries. But that evidence is mounting.

There certainly is a collection of themes emerging from the alt right types, and they all circle round a desire to 'change the political narrative'.

This means denouncing professional journalism as fake news
        It means gagging scientists and academics who produce reliable facts and data. Or eliminating their funding.
        It means exploiting peoples emotional weaknesses (as identified by social media data mining) in order to manipulate their beliefs.

It means, ultimately, eliminating rational debate and castrating democracy

I'm curious. Are you so naive as to believe Trump and his team are the first in politics to do this? The last? Alone in it during this election cycle?

I'm not talking Trump, Steve Bannon came at the end of his campaign. Between  Robert Mercer & Rebekah Mercer - I'm talking that you vote, mine and everybody else's is manipulated and the end of democracy as we know it.

Trump is just a puppet, like Obama, like Bush43 .....
          And you are not even the least bit curious, you accept it as normal, damn you're stupid.

Short of sacrificing a virgin in a volcano, we are all just really thankful we dont have to see or hear hillary for 4 years.

Are there any liberal virgins left?  I mean, with their insistence on screwing everyone in the country...

If I had to see or hear hillary for 4 years, I might be inclined to purposely eat lead paint chips from the windowsill, to put myself out of the misery. I don't think I could lay that kind of guilt on the liberal's conscience. They already bare so much.

Doubt there would be any guilt at all - seems they would be quite happy to get rid of all conservatives, or other opposition.  At least judging from what's happening in Berkeley...

Oh, what are they up to now?

The university fiasco, where any conservative speaker is greeted with rioters demanding the university deny them the right to speak.  Even recognizing that it is California, it's still overboard.

6. ptosis profile image66
      ptosisposted 6 years ago

Fock u all.seriously go kill yourself if that is what you so desire.   The next generation do not need you nor want you around. To them you are all useless eaters who outlived your usefulness in society

The next generation sounds a little harsh, or perhaps its their spokespeople. Youth lacks wisdom that only comes with time. eg useless, outlived, usefullness etc are adjectives that denote " just pacing ourselves " to the trained eye.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8d/83/88/8d83881b1874947591d6a6b7c591d996.jpg
          We all acknowledge that kids aren't born hating other people. So why do we teach them that it's only natural?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8dJ9Pnw54fg/TZPPw0kZcoI/AAAAAAAAAPg/WTxrtT86bJk/s1600/children%2Bhate.jpg

https://static.parade.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/jim-henson-biography-ftr.jpg

Well, I think I am starting to understand or see what might be the root cause of some issues that ds have coherent relevance. I come from a simpler time I guess and a dfferent generation where the cure was a job, a car and a gf. What do they do nowadays?

Wow. Someone suggests in another thread the North Korean leader needs a bullet in their head and now this. What's up with all the hate and violent talk?

You forget the eradication of our thoughts too.

A bullet made of lead?  I thought lead was toxic. They dont seem able  to make up their minds.

lol

2. colorfulone profile image78
            colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Silver bullets maybe, oh wait those are for vampires.  Maybe copper?

Idk.  Just as long as the killin' is safe for the enviroment I guess.

2. ptosis profile image66

Hey, it's people who are fed up with PC talk and voted in a crude offensive man because "he says it the way it is" without holding back such as yourself then whiplash your neck in reversal if anybody says something crude that you disagree with.

Feigning shock - not believable.

Is whiplash covered by TrumbeTryanToKillEverybodyCare?

Your primary problem is shared by many. Refusal to listen and respect alternative views. Solutions must be found together, not shoved down the throats of others.

7. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

Number of people that lost insurance coverage under Obamacare

*http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/map-how-many-people-lost-insurance-under-obamacare-in-every-state?utm_source=CT&utm_medium=CT&utm_campaign=CT
      https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13522372.jpg

The Federalist Papers Project has overt right wing bias in reporting.  It often publishes misleading news stories and conspiracies that amount to fake news. Has a horrible track record. - https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-fede … s-project/

It's an extreme right-wing nut-job fountain of fake news. No wonder you are confused.

8. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 6 years ago

Is this a writer's site or a whining, complaining, let's all find a poster to import site?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)