jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Presidential Pardons and Iran/Contra's Col. Oliver North

1. GA Anderson profile image83
    GA Andersonposted 11 days ago

Most are probably aware of the details of Pres. Reagan's Iran/Contra scandal, and that there are two opposing camps of opinions. One, that Col. North was a treasonous criminal, and the other that he was a true patriot.

As is typical for me, I choose a middle path. I think he was a true patriot at heart, that committed criminal, (but probably not treasonous), acts in the zeal of his patriotism.

I also think that he was not a candidate for a Presidential pardon. Even with his patriotic motives, I think he knew he was breaking the law, and, purposely acted to circumvent both Congressional will and laws specific to his actions.

What say you?

GA

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 days ago in reply to this

Haven't most pardon receivers guilty of knowingly breaking the law and purposely acting to circumvent it?  I mean, I could see a conviction of involuntary manslaughter being pardoned, but suspect the large majority intended to break the law - their actions were no accident.

1. GA Anderson profile image83
        GA Andersonposted 11 days ago in reply to this

Well gee whiz Wilderness, of course most pardons are for purposeful lawbreakers. My purpose in that explanation was to rebut the perspective that his actions were only that of a patriot.

I will try to be more clear in the future. ;-)

GA

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 days ago in reply to this

How was I to know?  You know I'm another old geezer - we're all senile or at least getting that way! big_smile

working