jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Will Social Security be impacted by new tax structure? Obamacare?

1. dianetrotter profile image72
    dianetrotterposted 4 weeks ago

1.  POTUS said Obamacare no longer exists?  I thought only the mandate for personal insurance was taken away?

2.  Entitlements will be cut .. including Social Security?  Is SS not something that we paid for out of our checks for years.  It's like a savings.  Employers match it.  That is similar to retirement.  It's not welfare!

Will the new structure impact you?

1. ahorseback profile image79
      ahorsebackposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes !  We will all have more of our own cash in our pockets .   No , S.S. is not effectively changed one Iota .     Except that the democratic spending totally obliterated the S.S. trust fund decades ago.

2. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

As usual, President Trump has grossly exaggerated the case.  Though without more money from the general tax receipts, subsidized rates WILL go up considerably for some people.

SS - well that's the claim of the liberals.  That they will take away most of your SS to pay for tax cuts for everyone.  No, it isn't an "entitlement" (as you correctly point out you have paid for your retirement for years) but it CAN be politically valuable to call it such.  Personally, my bet is that the voting power of millions and millions of seniors and disabled will prevent any real loss.

dianetrotterposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Don't know whether it is true or not - I just heard that POTUS can't sign tax bill until January 3 because it would cut social security immediate?

Off to church!

3. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Diane, the cons don't plan to touch SS until this new tax bill fails to produce their predicted mass revenue and job creation. Then they'll attack not only SS, but any other entitlements for the poor to try to avoid an estimated $1,500,000,000,000 added to the debt. And as you probably know, the Cons don't really care about poor people. They raise hell about abortions, but don't give a hoot about the kids after they're born.  sad

Paul Ryan has already mentioned wanting to do away with many programs which help both the lower and middle class. I don't think Ryan will be around too long....

dianetrotterposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I figure the bill will change with incoming congress.  Surely adjustments will have to be made.  Cutting back on SS cuts pensions of elderly people who need the money the most, that they worked for.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 weeks ago

The tax bill won't affect social security immediately, but just wait.  The GOP is teeing up cuts to "entitlements" next year (before they lose control of congress).  Their argument will be, remember those tax cuts?  Well, we can't fund these any more.  Wait for it.  It's coming.

1. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Is this a pure guess, based perhaps on TDS, or do you have information from the GOP saying it is being done to support your opinion?

working