jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How about a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting lawyers from holding political

1. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

How about a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting lawyers from holding political office...

or appointments?  Have you noticed that the only U.S. Congressman to is mostly pro-freedom is a doctor (Ron Paul)?  Most of the rest, who have sold us down the river and complicated our lives, are lawyers.

2. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 8 years ago

Bad idea, the reason lawyers are needed are because they can see loopholes and know how to move things. Lawyers tend to be well-versed in laws and know exactly what to say. If you got them out of office, then LAW making would become very difficult because lawyers would manipulate the government and basically make it a free-for-all.

Power corrupts everyone, not just lawyers. I think that we should consider educating the average voter instead of shoving mindless media propaganda down their throats. It shouldn't be who has the best commercial, but who has the best ideas and is known for honesty.

3. davidwpa profile image61
    davidwpaposted 8 years ago

While I think Phoebe is partially correct to the extent lawyers are able to find loopholes, I think our founders wanted common people to be members of the House of Representatives and were not looking at a government composed of lawyers solely. 

I think normal people can write laws and find loopholes too.  It's not a skill reserved solely for lawyers.  If one is logical and a critical thinker they should be able to do just as well.

In many cases, I think the power argument makes lawyers more dangerous and not less simply because they do know all the dirty tricks and the less ethical ones exploit them.  A common person may not be able to do that which makes them safer even if corruptible which we all are.

4. Paul Revere profile image61
    Paul Revereposted 8 years ago

I don't think anyone should be banned from office except convicted felons and those that have served two terms. Yes I believe in term limits.

5. sir slave profile image60
    sir slaveposted 7 years ago

That works for me..!!
    Ive long advocated that lawyers be kept out of politics!!
    Imagine a a bill I could read!!
    ill be the first to sign up to run for office if they ban lawyers
    they are such doooches TOO!

working