What do you think of patriotism?

1. Arthur Windermere profile image83
    Arthur Windermereposted 8 years ago

What do you think of patriotism?

Dr. Johnson famously said "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Is he right about that? Is patriotism a good thing? A bad thing? Dangerous? Altogether neutral? Good in some ways, bad in others? Answer as you like.

2. profile image0
    guidethemposted 8 years ago

Patriotism is untiring support for your nation's military, for your olympians, for athletes on the international stage and for all ambassadors of your country.  Patriotism is present-tense for events and situations that bring about pride and great feelings of association.  It can be tinged by actions in history, but if viewed as I view it -- in the present tense -- reflects satisfaction or better, for one's current situation and active national events. I do not feel there is a tie to religion or to politics for a country that is free.
    I don't believe the best patriots necessarily believe their country is the greatest. They would respect the virtues of people from other countries... those who are sure to have their own patriots.
    It's the best "word" to use for the national pride, blind to influences of religion and politics, IMO.

3. immortality profile image60
    immortalityposted 7 years ago

Patriotism is the source of inspiration to make people of your country to believe to the better future. It can be an engine to the social booming and economical progress.