jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you think about the Krauthammer immigration reform proposal?

1. Springboard profile image82
    Springboardposted 7 years ago

What do you think about the Krauthammer immigration reform proposal?

Charles Krauthammer, a syndicated columnist, proposed that we send troops to help patrol the borders, continue building the fence, increase manpower and step up efforts and resources to current border patrol agency. When we receive notice that 95% of illegal immigration has been curtailed, we then provide a path to citizenship to those already here which would include a fine, requirements for civics courses, and a requirement to learn english.

What are your thoughts on this plan?

2. profile image0
    Wire-Zoneposted 7 years ago

I say... hell no! No amnesty option should be on the table! It's like rewarding a crime!!! i agree with everything he proposes,,, but the amnesty option!

3. TinaMarieTad profile image78
    TinaMarieTadposted 7 years ago

I have not seen the details of Mr. Krauthammer's ideas for immigration reform, but he is a very intelligent and knowing man.

I don't know if the military being involved would make things better or worse, but we definitely need comprehensive immigration reform and we need it NOW.

I don't like the amnesty portion of his plan. No amnesty. People coming to America should do so through the proper channels as our original immigrants did coming to America many years ago. They should not get a shortcut just because we manage to get things under control.

I respect his opinion on many issues.

4. profile image49
    NoAmnestyposted 7 years ago

I haven't read the details on Mr. Krauthammer's ideas but border security by itself will never solve the problem. We need to remove the incentives (jobs, medicaid, etc) to stop the flow as well. As far as a path to citizenship for those already here (otherwise known as Amnesty)... absolutely not! Been there, done that. Now we have more illegals than ever before. Doesn't work. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

5. drbillfannin profile image59
    drbillfanninposted 7 years ago

Charles Krauthammer is a very intelligent man, and he knows his way around Washington. This proposal is close to what a lot of conservatives have come up with. My problem with the plan is all illegals should leave. No amnesty. Then have the illegals register for work in the United States. If work is available, have the experienced workers apply for citizenship and put them to work. They have to learn English, politics, and history just like "legal" immigrants do. They get in line with everyone trying to get citizenship. Once they pass a citizenship exam, then give them citizenship when their number comes up. For the rest, they can stay gone. To stop the illegals, fine the crap out of Americans who work illegals, and make it a felony. Illegals will find their way in so long as there is a chance to work. A fence won't stop them, but drying up the illegal jobs will.  We need a damn good guest worker program.