jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What would the fifties era un-American activities committee have made of the mas

1. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

What would the fifties era un-American activities committee have made of the mass export of...

American jobs to communist China?

2. cresandsuzanne profile image59
    cresandsuzanneposted 7 years ago

i think WE ALL KNOW the answer to that one...RED SCARE!!!!!

3. mthurston profile image77
    mthurstonposted 7 years ago

McCarthyism is still alive and well.  I think in the case of China, the U.S. is borrowing so much money - and has been for long enough that they're not in a great position to play the protectionist. 

A more evident reality is that 'globalization' (hate to use the word..) has changed the playing field in a way that is more conducive to a world-wide network of trade, people, ideas, and entertainment.

The committee would have a problem because if they were THAT against outsourcing, then the burden is pretty much on their own government to bring jobs back into the homeland.

4. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

I have a confession to make.  I tabled this question in true courtroom lawyer (never ask a question to which you do not already know the answer) style.

America is losing out to China - jobswise - because the trans-nationational corporations: that ultimately own everything, are totally a-political, with no allegiance to anything other than profit.

Witness events in the news (the Wikki leaks) here you have a situation where American taxpayer's money is being spent supplying military aid to Pakistan - whilst Pakistan is supporting the Taliban in Afghanistan.  The motive behind this 'anomaly' is profit.

Closed to reply

working