jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is wrong with California?

1. Jason R. Manning profile image86
    Jason R. Manningposted 7 years ago

What is wrong with California?

I do not get it.  Is Barbara Boxer really that savvy?  Is she that politically deft?  Dianne Feinstein at least knows when to keep her mouth shut, and stays away from political fire storms.  But you voted Barbara “Call Me Senator” Boxer back in…why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4064350_f260.jpg

2. Jed Fisher profile image89
    Jed Fisherposted 7 years ago

The short answer: the rent is too damn high.
    What I mean by that is, a person working an honest job, with all sources of income gained legally, can't afford to live there. The absurdly high cost of real estate in some areas indicates, there is a lot of illegal stuff going on there.
    Honest people simply move away. They can't afford the rent.

3. Jason R. Manning profile image86
    Jason R. Manningposted 7 years ago

Pertra,
    So essentially you are saying that a Boxer/Brown ticket is going to save California jobs…because these two love Cap and Trade, will continue to make sure the water stays off in the central valley, and are sure to raise taxes again in 2011.  Yes, that’s going really stop more businesses from pulling up stakes and setting up shop in business friendly states.

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Well, it's on the east coast of Norfolk and gets a bit chilly this time of the year and through the winter.

5. Judah's Daughter profile image79
    Judah's Daughterposted 7 years ago

Republicans hold only 15 of the CA Senate’s 40 seats. Unions are a major factor, in that they fight to keep their outlandish pensions and are a powerful Leftist force when it comes to elections. The current budget that finally passed includes more than $12 billion in tax hikes, while the State is already bleeding profusely. 

More and more businesses are leaving CA, increasing unemployment.  Hike taxes all they want, but they can no longer collect from those businesses and certainly can't get much from their unemployed. CA is a "sink hole" and the future looks bleak.

In addition to this, CA is borrowing against the future, just like the present US regime.  I recently heard a statement that is so true: "One can't get out of a hole by digging deeper."  While the Nov 2010 election results for CA put them further behind in the fight for recovery, the rest of the Country fought back ~ THEY ROCK!  There may not be much hope for CA, but there is yet much hope for America!

6. Wayne Brown profile image84
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I saw California head in this direction in the 70's post Vietnam era.  The state began to pass legislation that was highly idealistic and progressive in nature.  It was the type of legislation that warms the heart but become illogical when one tries to figure out how it will function.  From that point, it was easy for the "progressives" or liberals to grab a foothold especially with a population base in the San Francisco area that is still baking their cookies with Vietnam Era mary-jane recipes and a population base around LA that thinks they are all just undiscovered movie stars.  With those two swinging liberal bats, the rest of the population in the outlying areas matter little in the voting process.  As a result, California has become the land of big government and expectant entitlement.  California is the model for where America is headed unless we change our direction and practice some necessary common sense.  In the end, if you can elect the likes of Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, and Jerry Brown, you deserved what you get in California. WB

working