jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

As an American citizen, are you outraged that Congress has not followed the pres

1. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

As an American citizen, are you outraged that Congress has not followed the prescribed process...

for appropriations and budgeting?

2. Thesource profile image79
    Thesourceposted 7 years ago

No really. Congress is working well.
    However, we as a people have different views on what our priorities are. Most of us are under some illusions that if people do not unite, Congress will unite.  For example many think we don't want "big government", while others need government to be strong enough regulate industries. The rich want government to stop spending so they don't need to pay the required taxes, while others like the government to spend to help us out of the recession. Read my hub on Government Spending and Taxes during Recession..

If the people in US cannot unite on what they want for their country, there will be gridlock in Washington. They should not point their fingers at Washington.

3. ExpertCLB profile image60
    ExpertCLBposted 7 years ago

I am outraged that the members of Congress (who work for American citizens, by the way) are so arrogant that they become offended when asked such questions.

4. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

No, not really.  Our politicians quit working for the country or people long ago; they work only for themselves, to enrich their own lives in one way or another.

As a result, they follow only the rules they find expedient to follow and even then only when they want to.

As an example, a few years ago the people of Idaho voted in term limits for state legislators.  It became law - until the politicians came back from their vacation whereupon they promptly voted to cancel the new law the people wanted.  The people's desire, the needs of the country are both ignored in favor of what individual politicians want. 

Earmarks are another sign - earmarks make friends for the politicians which gets votes (and money).  The inevitable result is a budget each year with more earmarks than actual budget items.

I find such things disappointing, but am not truly outraged.  I expect our elected officials to have almost no ethical standards, and they don't.  What's new there?