jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Creation; something from nothing,Big Bang. Speak the heavens into existence, God

1. noturningback profile image77
    noturningbackposted 7 years ago

Creation; something from nothing,Big Bang. Speak the heavens into existence, God. Which is it?

Both of these beliefs require real faith. One, which is cosmology, is based on theory, or speculation. The other, theology, requires belief in a supreme being who can do what some say could never be done because there is no such being. So here we are we two conflicting ideas, neither can be proven and to make matters more confusing now science proposes yet a newer theory, dark matter (of course it's invisible)

2. Wayne Brown profile image85
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

It really doesn't matter because in the end you are asking someone to prove a negative on either side of the aisle.  There's not enough physical proof to support either argument.  If you are a person of faith, then ignore the other crap and get on with life.  Your faith may be all that you have if they are right in their beliefs but don't let that diminish your faith.  What you believe is what is important and should be important to you...not what they believe.  Faith is all that keeps us from going crazy with insanity, don't let people play with your mind for it ultimately gnaws at your faith with material which as no greater proof than what you already believe.  The fact that you are willing to consider their argument is giving license to the existence of their argument.  The biggest fear of an atheist is that God does exist. WB

3. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

Our particular universe is governed by the laws of physics and is about 14 billion years old. It began with a singularity that expanded rapidly in what is called the big bang. On earth, atoms formed into proteins, which formed into complex organisms over the course of millions of years. One million years ago, there were at least a dozen species of humans. By 30,000 years ago, only two species of humans still existed as all the others had gone extinct. Today, Homo Sapiens are the only species that remain. H. Sapiens were interesting because they had reached an evolutionary limit. While some animals were the biggest or the fastest, H. Sapiens' brains had developed to the extent that they could not give birth unassisted (due to the large cranium), but were cabable of abstract thought. They created music, religion, and new ways to grow food. Sometime between 2,000 and 3,500 years ago, a human in the Levant plagerized part of a thousand year old Babylonian script on the creation of the world and added a bunch of genealogy to it. He knew nothing of the universe or geology, so he winged it by saying that the earth was flat and the sky was a giant blue dome. Today, we call this the creation story. Some people who don't understand physics still believe it.

That being said, we don't know what started the big bang. Many scientists believe in alternate dimensions beyond our universe. Many scientists believe in parallel universes that may not be governed by the laws of physics. Could they possibly have stumbled into a scientific explanation for hell and heaven? Could the big bang have been started by God?Who knows?

4. noturningback profile image77
    noturningbackposted 7 years ago

In other words, the laws should have an explanation from within the universe and not involve appealing to an external agency. The specifics of that explanation are a matter for future research. But until science comes up with a testable theory of the laws of the universe, its claim to be free of faith is manifestly bogus.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/24/opini … 2&_r=1

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question Wayne. The point I was trying to make is that both scientific theory of Big Bang and belief in God's Creation of this universe require faith and mine is infallible that God's hand was employed.

5. profile image53
    Andy the Greatposted 7 years ago

The Big Bang is based on logic and the study of observable phenomena. God is based on faith, and is untestable in any way. The only way to have total faith in god is to ignore logic. Many people do it, and we call this ignorance or delusion in the English language, though it's not politically correct to use those words when describing around 85% of the US population.

The reason I break with religion is that it tells me what to think with a concrete assumption with no evidence. Science tells me it doesn't know yet, but may help shed light some day.

Closed to reply

working