jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do folks think of the proposal to abolish the IRS?

1. FitnezzJim profile image83
    FitnezzJimposted 7 years ago

What do folks think of the proposal to abolish the IRS?

opencongress.org indicates that H.R.25 has been introduced to the House.  It states "This bill would eliminate all federal income taxes, payroll taxes and the estate tax, and replace them with a federal sales tax of 23% on the use or consumption of all goods, properties and services. The Internal Revenue Service would be abolished and replaced by an Excise Tax Bureau and a Sales Tax Bureau in the Department of the Treasury. "
    Thoughts?  Especially, what impact would this have on day-to-day life?

2. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 7 years ago

I favor a system where governments present projects to it's people directly (read: no indirect representation) and the people then decide how much of their money shall be put into it personally.

Taxes should be clearly understood (instead of smear campaigns versus one way or the other) to the average citizen. This would be quite the departure from politics as they are now, where there is little oversight into how money is spent.

However, I don't believe any of this could be accomplished without first divorcing corporations from government, and resetting their "rights" back to "privileges."

3. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 7 years ago

A flat federal income tax would be better, say 15% for round numbers.

A person makes $25,000 annually, they would pay $3,750. Another person making $250,000 would pay $37,500.

The plan above would only kill the free market and would hurt low-income people.

4. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

I don't see it as realistic. I think that if we changed over to a consumption based tax system there would be ample room to significantly reduce the size of the IRS which would be a great help to reducing overhead in the government.  Any other tax structure will require a force of auditors to assure folks are indeed paying as they should.  WB

5. justom profile image69
    justomposted 7 years ago

If the top 1% would pay their fair share we might not need to even ask this ?

6. garyyoungberg profile image61
    garyyoungbergposted 7 years ago

You will never find agreement with what a "fair share" is. A flat national retail sales tax on new goods and services with no income tax, is best, in my opinion.  Largest consumers pay the most, smallest consumers the least.  Nobody gets political preference and there are no loop holes.  If you really want good information on this subject, read The Fair Tax Book by Neal Boortz.  When politicians and bureaucrats are given the ability to make execptions, they will do so ad infinitum,

7. vinnielee2010 profile image59
    vinnielee2010posted 7 years ago

I feel a flat tax would be better for all
    but then we would be able to save money and
    and for thoose of us that can suport ourselves off the earth would not pay as much or at all

But the goverment needs a restructure with lay-offs and pay cuts
    and 15 % would be close to the right amount for fed tax 6 to 8% for state = 23%
    But they will always try for the most greed drives our goverment
    Morality and ethics are a thing of the past
    and I guess a matter of semantics
    NO clear lines No clear anything
    K enough ranting later