Do cuts to police forces equal increased crime, especially in large, urban areas

1. Virtual Treasures profile image57
    Virtual Treasuresposted 7 years ago

Do cuts to police forces equal increased crime, especially in large, urban areas?

The Flint, Michigan Police Department has slashed its Police force by almost 1/2 in the last two years.  In one of the Country's highest per capita crime-ridden cities, the debate rests between whether or not police officers are more reactive than proactive.  What do you think?

2. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Cuts come and go and crimes does as well.  Ten more police officers do not necessarily mean that a business won't get robbed but it really does not. Much has to do with the idea of presence as opposed to actual presence.  A better example would be...a criminal sits in front of my house and ponders whether I have a gun. If he can convince himself that I do, then maybe he decides to move on...that is a perceive presence of something which he does not want to encounter in his risk assessment....the same hold true for law enforcement. If you have a perceived presence, then crime will go down in a given area. WB

3. justom profile image70
    justomposted 7 years ago

Good for Flint, there are way too many cops anyway and half of them don't even do police work. More cops never solves anything!

Closed to reply

working