jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

were the G20 and G8 summits good or bad for canada?

1. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

were the G20 and G8 summits good or bad for canada?

did we benifit from them and were the costs were what we got back?

2. f_hruz profile image73
    f_hruzposted 7 years ago

The opportunity to focus the world view on Canada was good, but the cost of these summits was totally out of proportion for such a short lived promo execise ... and the ones responsible for such a huge wast should be held accountable for these financial stupidities ... if you ask me!

3. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 7 years ago

Canada spent more than a billion dollars for two weeks of meetings where politicians of all stripes who, with very little actual economic power, talked about how they were going to "fix" the economic woes of the world.
    The G8 and the G20 are about optics. Some claim these meetings can give  a measure of hope to the people when they see their "leaders" meeting and discussing the world's economic situation. That in itself has value but.....a billion dollar for two weeks of talks.....oh well! I guess it's only money and as we all know now.... we can always print more.

4. Mr. Happy profile image83
    Mr. Happyposted 7 years ago

I was downtown Toronto for most of the week-end while the summit took place. Billions of dollars were spent on an army of police officers out of whom many abused their powers. There are many lawsuits still in progress. Some police officers who took off their badge numbers from their riot gear have been identified. Some were filmed literally assaulting people.
    The police tried to turn the city in a jail-city. Two billion dollars and they couldn't even take care of their own vehicles. Four police cars were light on fire on the streets of Toronto that Saturday. Countless stores were vandalized and many regular citizens were arrested for no reason; not much made sense.
    Since we are in 2011, perhaps a teleconference (something used by many business people) can be considered. It would save billions!!
    (I have photographs for anyone interested; many photographs.)