jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does shoveling out a PUBLIC parking spot, in front of your own property entitle

1. Writerly Yours profile image78
    Writerly Yoursposted 7 years ago

Does shoveling out a PUBLIC parking spot, in front of your own property entitle you to that spot?

Recently, the northeast has been hit with an intense pattern of bad snowy weather. It's has snowed every week, consistently, and sometimes, twice in a week, for over a month now.  Shoveling out cars has been a nightmare; not to mention exhausting.  However, in certain residential areas, some homeowners (and  no, I'm not a homeowner anymore, but I was, and can relate to this issue) have taken it upon themselves to place garbage bins in the spots directly outside their homes after shoveling out the spot, therefore, preventing others from parking there.

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

In England, if it went on too long, the local bobby may come along and have a word with the home owner, especially if there had been complaints.  I don't know what happens in other countries, but here we pay road tax, that doesn't give you the right to the parking space in front of your house.  If the home owners persisted in leaving their bins in the area, they would probably be charged with obstruction, although, if the car were there, it wouldn't be an obstruction:-)

3. vietnamvet68 profile image59
    vietnamvet68posted 7 years ago

On a public street, NO Way, it's first come first serve anywhere in the US that's what we pay taxes for, just because you cleaned it out, you don't own it.

4. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

In some cities, like Chicago, there is a local ordinance that applies for 48 hours that assigns first priority to the individual who cleaned out the spot.  After that timeframe, it is fair game to anyone who needs it.  That is reasonable although how does one prove that they cleaned the spot unless they have a witness? WB