jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What do you think is happening in Egypt? Is it Democracy or Temerity?

1. Taleb80 profile image81
    Taleb80posted 7 years ago

What do you think is happening in Egypt? Is it Democracy or Temerity?

2. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 7 years ago

I think from what I've been reading that it is a cover for the Muslim Brotherhood to gain more power. They have taken back the passange way on the Sinai to be able to get big weapons to the Gaza strip. The peace agreements with Israel are being broken, first Turkey's and now Egypts. Also, Jordan moderate stance is now being jeapordized as King Abdullah has had to sack his government, calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Samir Rifai. It's reported today that the King has asked an ex-army general to form a new cabinet. The Muslim Brotherhood are working to take more Sunni control of the M.E., even of Israel, as the Shia of Iran and more and more in Iraq rise in power and military strength.

3. eyesinthewoods profile image57
    eyesinthewoodsposted 7 years ago

I still feel it is to early to fully see what the outcome of Egypt is going to be but I have a few ideas.  Option A is that authoritarian regime stays in power by force and ends the revolts.  This option probably has the best short term economic effects for the world and the United States fiscally.  Egypt is a key U.S and Israeli ally in the middle east and the current president has furthered U.S interests in the area.  Any dissruption to his reign will have economic effects throughout the entire world.  Option B has the people succeeding in their revolution and forming a Democratic government which in the longterm is the best outcome.  This would have immediate negative economic repercussions but would become a key asset in the future.  Lastly, Option C would have the revolts lead to a farce Democratic government in which the Muslim Brotherhood takes power.  This could very well happen as they are one of the largest groups in Egypt.  They are extremists and if this happens it could strengthen Iran and radicals in the region.

4. uncorrectedvision profile image61
    uncorrectedvisionposted 7 years ago

The involvement of the Muslim Brotherhood precludes any democratic goal.  It is far more likely that the Muslim Brotherhood perceiving the weakness in Washington has made their move through out the region.

working