jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Would a system where working Americans voted, via internet on important issues w

1. kevin.howell profile image59
    kevin.howellposted 7 years ago

Would a system where working Americans voted, via internet on important issues work?

Or should we leave it up to politics as usual?

2. Paul Kohler profile image59
    Paul Kohlerposted 7 years ago

I think it could work as long as identities are verifiable so people are not tempted to vote from more then one computer. And as long as they put steps in place to prevent fraud I really think the voter turnout would drastically increase, for there are many people who care about the issues.....just not enough to get off their duffs and go to the polls.

3. Etarip profile image60
    Etaripposted 7 years ago

In order to actually create a secure enough voting system, it would have to be a separate system, a separate computer, and it cannot be connected to the internet. The only possibility that I can see with computerized voting is when you step up to the booth and check the boxes with a mouse instead of a pen.

4. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 7 years ago

I think modern communications makes the House of Representatives almost obsolete. Major issues, like going to war, should certainly be voted on by national referendum. The members of the lower house of Congress have failed to serve as the common tribunes of the people. They have failed to serve as competant proprietors of the public finances. They have failed to keep legislation from originating in the executive branch. They have failed to be anything other than gerrymanderers who cheat and manipulate the shapes of districts in order to steal power, which is tantamount to treason. I would like to see the House of Representatives fired and reformed. We can keep the Senate though.

5. Wayne Brown profile image83
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

No, I do not think it would work in terms of what is best for America.  It would further the opportunity for abuse in terms of rigging elections and it would enable and empower idiots through the convenience of using it.  We actually have internet savy people walking the streets of America who have voting rights who believe that the illegal immigrants currently in America are simply people who desired to come here for a vacation.  We can't be responsible for making it easier for an idiot such as that to be able to vote on important issues.  Our efforts must go into getting people to participate on the front end.  They must first understand the issues and the impact of those issues before they exercise their rights to vote.  Anything less than such an approach is only making the problem worse.  Why not install voting machines into all the mental health facilities in the country so we can get the vote out! WB

6. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 7 years ago

Nope.  Because the outcomes are all predetermined by the "government."  Democracy is an easy way for them to convince the masses that they have input.  They don't.  The government has its own plans and implements them.

7. JT Walters profile image78
    JT Waltersposted 6 years ago

I would be worried there would be more voter fraud and abuse.

working