jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why do we have troops stationed overseas?

1. sam3m profile image59
    sam3mposted 6 years ago

Why do we have troops stationed overseas?

why do we have troops stationed in germany, korea, japan, etc., in effect supplying our people for their defense?

2. CJ Andrews profile image91
    CJ Andrewsposted 6 years ago

In Germany for the chocolate
    In Korea for mobile phones
    In Japan for cars

Not sure which other countries you wanted to know about...

Actually, I believe it is because we were at war with them and had kind of like monitoring stations to keep tabs on them.  Now it is more of a carried over "tradition" (for lack of terming it better) that simply continues because it gives us a foothold in those countries that we want to keep "just in case".

3. peterxdunn profile image58
    peterxdunnposted 6 years ago

American military personnel overseas do not defend the countries in which they are stationed. There are 190+ countries in the world. America has a military presence in 130 of them. They are deployed to protect the US dollar's status as First Reserve Currency. This status allows the Federal Reserve to print as many dollars as it likes without regard to their value on foriegn exchanges because other countries can only buy oil with dollars. This is, in effect, a tax imposed by America on the rest of the world. America is an empire. Did the Romans station soldiers on Hadrian's wall to protect the British? No - they put them there to protect the Roman Empire.

4. WindMaestro profile image60
    WindMaestroposted 6 years ago

Peterxdunns answer says it all. And we have troops stationed there to put tabs on the people there, we made a pact with South Korea, we tried the build Japan and Germany's economy after the Second World War. Well, in Germany mostly because of the fact of the late Soviet Union. We position troops mostly for economic benefits, I mean, why do you think we started the Iraq war? Oil. Why are we still in the Middle East? Oil. Why did we impose a no fly zone and aide Libya... jeese I don't know, oh yeah I do. Oil. Haha. It's simple once you think about it.

5. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 6 years ago

If you are an American, you should always want a very large number of our troops stationed outside the U.S. If the day ever comes when all of the troops are brought home, the nation will be facing some very dangerous and grave potentialities, such as a military takeover of the government.

That might sound far-fetched but it could happen if the Armed Forces ceased to be dispersed all over the world and had all of their brain centers/trusts, personnel, armaments and other powerful resources located in one central location (within the borders of the U.S. and just off its coasts).

6. nursingmania profile image58
    nursingmaniaposted 6 years ago

Its purely business and business, With a good source of budget.

7. thursdayzhero profile image58
    thursdayzheroposted 6 years ago

I am actually serving in Korea. We are technically still involved in the quiet ongoing war here. Not mobile phones. We train like you wouldnt believe. Been here a year and a half and have seen two major events. The sinking of the Cheonon and the artillery strike at Yeonpeong Island. Very tense moments, I even survived a typhoon over here. I personally love it here, and look forward to returning. Follow me and you might get to see Korea through my perspective.

8. justamber profile image59
    justamberposted 6 years ago

I think it's just an excuse for us to have troops in other parts of the world "just in case"

9. Gary Rowell profile image60
    Gary Rowellposted 6 years ago

I agree with Peterxdunn, but in my own words.. The American Agenda. A way for the government to have control  on foreign soil, and an excuse for funds to be released and abused