jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If you observed a friend doing something illegal what would you do?

1. dashingclaire profile image70
    dashingclaireposted 6 years ago

If you observed a friend doing something illegal what would you do?

It's a ethical problem. It could be non-violent crime like receiving stolen goods/embezzlement/id theft. Would you call the police or think it was none of your business?

2. Robephiles profile image88
    Robephilesposted 6 years ago

Well, there are a number of things that are illegal that I don't feel should be but if your example is theft it depends on who they are stealing from.  For a lot of people simply the threat of discovery is enough to make them stop the behavior so if I disapproved of such a behavior I think it could be resolved without getting the police involved.  In my experience getting police involved in almost anything is a bad idea.  But there are circumstances where I might turn a friend in if there was no other way to stop the behavior.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Just let it go. I see this every day. 86% of teenagers has seen someone handling illegal drugs and/or alcohol. They rarely tell anyone, especially their family. To make you see life from my point of view, something illegal is very light and nothing to worry about. One of my friend's husbands has three warrants out for his arrest.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

in most cases i wouldn't worry too much about it. if it was something like recieving stolen goods i would probably tell them they are stupid for doing it but i wouldn't even think of squealling on them.